Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last weekend, I did not fish. Instead, I spent Father’s Day weekend with my Dad.

I was able to make a couple mid-week afternoon jaunts to Lake Pflugerville. I was looking forward to fishing Pflugerville this morning, but alas, the boat ramp closed again for Covid last night.

I’m on-call, so I needed a substitute nearby lake. Hello Lady Bird. Of course I was paged in to work at midnight. I drove to Liberty Hill to flip the switch. I got to bed at 1:30am.

Alarm goes off at 3:45am. I almost thought about sleeping in, but you know what? I’m a weekend angler. Even when I’m working.

Hauled ass to the Bird and launched. I caught my first, a nice two-and-a-half at 6:16am on a senko. I caught a couple of sunfish on an H2O crankbait as I moved upriver. A kayak was coming down river. It was my friend. I asked if he was still pre-fishing. He said, “The KATS tournament is today. I’ve only got two keepers so far.”

He asked if he could fish around me, but I just left my spot and kept moving upriver. I heard him hoot. I turned and saw a giant leap out of the water. Another hoot when he boated the twenty incher. I guess he owes me one!

Another Bird regular was working over the Rowing Center with a topwater, so I made turns for the Hyatt. As I went under Congress I felt something splat on my shoulder.

Last week a bird crapped on me when I launched from the Pflugerville ramp. I actually consider direct hit bird bombs to portend Good Luck, especially if they hit my uncovered bald head. It worked at Pflugerville, so why not Lady Bird?

Because it smelled like guano. I stripped off the shirt and poured my water jug on the offending stain. In hindsight I think it was rainwater runoff from the bridge. Right then, all I could think about was the sonar arches between witch heads behind Hyatt. I caught three nice two-and-a-halfs on drop-shot 6” Roboworm. Let’s keep this PG, for the fans, please, and put the pic in a thumbnail, LOL. I’m sure all the paddleboarders were wishing I’d put the yellow shirt back on.

The sun was breaking through the Saharan dust cloud. I slathered on the 50 SPF and donned my long sleeves. I junk fished for the next four hours, but I only caught on drop-shot. I caught three more two-and-a-halfs. I lost a four-pounder boatside, I think the #1 Gama drop-shot hook was skin-hooked, doh!

I’m sure the KATS tournament was competitive, the bite was really on. My friend said he’d culled up pretty good when we passed each other going the other way. I met another yakker, Tim, who recognized me from ABF.

This is so cool, I’m thinking I’ll be back tomorrow!
9AB415EA-B8E2-4D72-B5BD-3964BC190913.jpeg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Grandson is sitting beside me here while I read this report. I wanted to show him Jeremy's bass but all he could focus on was the fisherman not wearing a shirt. "Why dont you fish without a shirt on Chief" he asked. I told him I could not do that as it would scare all the fish away, not to mention scarring little children. Great report Jeremy and well done standing aside to let you friend hook that biggun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts