Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, been looking to for a place to log fish after trips and figured why not just do it on a forum. Considering I kayak fish LBL every other day, what better forum than this one?

Fished from around 7:00am to just after noon. Five fish, all on soft plastics, first was on a brush hog, rest on GP senkos.

All caught in brush piles and laydowns along the bank.

1. Blue brush hog, 1/4oz texas rigged. Bat boat dock under 1st st bridge.
2. GP senko, weightless texas rigged. Lake side of the shoal creek peninsula.
3. GP senko, weightless texas rigged. North bank, under the railroad bridge.
4. GP senko, weightless texas rigged. South bank, right in front of the gazebo under the 1st st bridge. 18 in, day's best and an absolute stud from about 12 inches of water.
5. GP senko, weightless texas rigged. South bank, out front of the Statesman, and proof you can catch a 6 inch fish on a 5 inch worm.

So basically all over. Tried to get into some schooling fish out in front of waller creek and around the bridge pilings with topwater and lipless cranks but they weren't having it, tough with half the population of Austin on the lake every weekend. But a good day otherwise.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I haven’t seen a black bass report this detailed in a long time. Thank you for posting it up. Congrats on the 18” fish, those are the good’uns, for sure.

I understand the need for a log. You asked (rhetorically) why not here (ABF). Your question may be answered when you next go fishing and see several kayaks and perhaps even a bass boat at the exact spots you gave away.

I’m actually OK with your report. This is free speech country and I would defend to the death your First Amendment Right. I hope to see more reports like yours on ABF.

Because I’m a Christian, I don’t believe in Karma. But I do kind of like the “pay it forward” philosophy of “to keep something, you must give it away.” To me, you’ve strengthened the rights of bass anglers by publicly promoting our sport in a positive manner. I can’t thank you enough for that.

But like most things there is a flip side. And what I mean is you’ve also benefitted the opportunistic “potlickers” who may actually harvest that 18” stud that you proudly battled and hopefully released. (Full disclosure, if you legally harvested that fish, I don’t like it but will respect your right to do so). That potlicker has a cast net, too and he doesn’t care that he’s poaching that fish.

Some here would label me a hypocrite, because I post prolifically and sometimes In a detailed fashion. Yeah, they read my stuff. Over the years, I’ve modified my “reports” to be wordy, vague, storytelling with a dose of not so humble brag. I always make a point to attach a hopelessly narcissistic bass-selfie of (the smallest, LOL) fish I caught that trip. (I’m a fish-photo aficionado.)

I fell in love with Lady Bird a couple years ago. I love to fish that stretch between I-35 and First Street. It’s a great place to take my son fishing, too. I want to hear your reports and please put as much detail as you want in them. I’ll read them with interest. But remember, less than honorable people will read them as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven’t seen a black bass report this detailed in a long time. Thank you for posting it up. Congrats on the 18” fish, those are the good’uns, for sure.

I understand the need for a log. You asked (rhetorically) why not here (ABF). Your question may be answered when you next go fishing and see several kayaks and perhaps even a bass boat at the exact spots you gave away.

Jeremy, greatly appreciate your response. I see you're a seasoned vet on these boards, and certainly deserving of everyone's respect.

I absolutely understand your concern, and I'll try to be a little more vague with my posts. I'm trying to accomplish two things, the first being a record of my own catch, and the second being a record with which other Austin area bass anglers can reference for advice. Future posts won't contain details of exact locations, but they will contain baits used and how they were rigged, etc. I'll also be including general location descriptors (bridge piling, steep bank, grass flat, etc) and, as previously mentioned, will avoid specificity. Time and water quality are a given, as well.

Thanks for the advice, and if you ever see a 13ft Hobie with a black crate fished by a 20-something with a backwards Bulleit hat, don't be afraid to say hello.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dang, now that is a report. Great job SoCo. I appreciate the details but would echo Jeremy's thoughts as well. Some people will swarm everyone of those spots if they can find them. But the detail was wonderful and very helpful to those of us looking for that information. Welcome to the Austin area and glad to see you on here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I usually launch right under the I-35 bridge, there is small lot right next to a little beach. There are boat launches both east and west of I-35 close by. I've also launched from the ramp near Austin High, but that gets very crowded fast.

JT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts