Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at 415PM off at 745pm. The dam release (3pm it went off I believe) today seemed pretty heavy, the water was churned up even until I hauled out. Water 76 degrees.

Launched at redbud and made it about halfway to mopac. Wind was gusty and there were hoards of paddleboarders. A group of 5 women in rental kayaks were heading for me as i fished the west bank, 2 of them went directly in front of me, while my line was out, and within 10 feet of me. Absolutely oblivious to the world. The crew teams were also on a tear today, with the chase boats yelling at everyone to get out of the way as they went four wide down the lake and back repeatedly. Put me in a bad mood that lasted until I pulled the kayak. As I got back to the launch 5 people are standing right on the edge in a line.

"why do you have 5 fishing poles?"

-'usually break at least 4'

"did you catch a lot of keepers?"

-'whats a keeper'

They got the message and moved off enough so i could get on the ramp to pull.

As far as the fishing went, caught a handful on TR with a yum plum worm (i keep calling it watermelon for some reason). No other colors got bit. Caught 4 on the A-rig. I think all the boarders were keeping the fish down. Only a few followers on the big swimbait.

Hood Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Finger

Water Vertebrate Organism Fish Fisherman

Water Hand White Green Reflex camera

Hand Finger Creative arts Thumb Nail

Water Hand Sky Liquid Fluid

Glasses Sky Water Goggles Fisherman

·
Super Moderator
2,383 Posts
The joy of fishing an urban lake. A couple years back, a paddle-board yoga class with six women surrounded me and started doing pirouettes on their boards. As they stepped around the noses of the boards were slapping the water pretty hard. In a kind voice, I told the leader that noises from the boards were startling the fish. She grabbed her paddle and started swatting the water as hard as she could, “Like this?”

·
Registered
105 Posts
Awesome, I want to try an A-rig soon, is it easy to keep it organized when you arent fishing it? Is the a-rig an all-year long type lure or does it shine during certain seasons? I see a lot of videos of guys fishing them deep in winter and getting some giants on them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She grabbed her paddle and started swatting the water as hard as she could, “Like this?”
"Triggered"

Awesome, I want to try an A-rig soon, is it easy to keep it organized when you arent fishing it? Is the a-rig an all-year long type lure or does it shine during certain seasons? I see a lot of videos of guys fishing them deep in winter and getting some giants on them.
I stick the rigs in a PVC rod holder tube head down.

When they are feeding on shad spawn like they are now I think they work. I would assume they work year round but dead of summer might be not the best time to commit to it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Plum apple used to be my go to color for Zoom baits. Any of them, but especially the 10" worms. Seems like the bass on the Bird but either black, black with red flakes, or plum apple. As for the rowers, the are a bunch of Jackholes

·
Registered
105 Posts
One of my recent LBL jaunts I had a yakker in one of those really narrow speedy kinda yaks go within 2 feet of me, she was working that line from quite a distance away from me and was facing me so she had to have seen me... I was stationary and working the bank not moving at all and she passed me easily within arms length distance. She gave me a good morning smile as if nothing was wrong at all, I was completely befuddled 😵

·
Super Moderator
2,383 Posts
One of my recent LBL jaunts I had a yakker in one of those really narrow speedy kinda yaks…
I have a suspicion that I may have seen that woman in the speedy yak before. It was during a club race that had various classes of paddlecraft like canoe and “speedy” yaks. That woman was leading the race and was way, way out front, digging hard on her return leg for the finish.

When you saw her, she may have been timing herself on a practice run and trying to shorten her distance as much as possible for a fast time, which unfortunately brought her uncomfortably close to you. I would give her a pass, and I’m going to try to give a pass to all the rest of the inconsiderate chodes that are going to foul my cast this summer. Life is too short to get bunched up over paddle rights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts