Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, had a little time and weather cooperated. Launched yak at 4pm from the Austin high boat launch. Talked to another Yakker getting off the water. He said that he saw bass spawning in the springs, but had no luck landing one. I headed toward Barton Springs on the South bank. Not a bite on jerk bait, T-rig craw, ned rig or drop shot. Went up the creek for 150 yards or so into Barton springs. Saw 1 male and still no bites. Turned around and headed back west on the North bank. Threw the drop shot and bang caught the cutie below. Moved a bit further and threw the ned rig under an overhang and got a big'n on the line. Saw him jump a couple of times then threw the lure. Like a genius I did not re-tie. A few casts later a fun size fish broke me off next to the yak. Still had the drop shot and a few more minutes to fish. Another over hang it and was on. My rod bent so I grabbed my landing net to avoid a break off. To my surprise it was chunk bluegill. At least 10", probably a PB. See pic, below for reference that's a 4.5" roboworm hanging out of the mouth.

JT

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the clarification, Jeremy. Looking back at the picture it is obvious now that it is a redear/shellcracker. I did not know about the state records. I always try to get my boys to come down and fish for gills with me, but they usually pass.

Longhorn: The gills, like the LMB seem to have taken Jan/Feb off. While I usually don't fish for them or catch them, in the summer they are a constant pest pecking at my LMB lures. So I would guess they are abundant.

JT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts