Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at 4PM out at 6PM.

Real cold, no rain, the sun even poked through a bit while I was out. Water temp was 57 or so most of the main lake areas, 54 in shallower arms.

Continuing to use the a-rig as I have had a good success with it. Fish seem to be either suspending or on the bottom. I hooked a good one but lost at the kayak. I have found that if I give the a-rig some jerks and vary the retrieve speed on the handle, I usually get a strike. I think it finally causes the followers to attack.

Caught a white bass as well, cool little fish.
Water Fisherman Sky Bait Body of water

Water Vertebrate Fisherman Lake Mammal

Water Vertebrate Boat Lake Body of water

Water Fisherman Watercourse Fish Fishing

Sculpture Road surface Asphalt Fish Fisherman

Water Cloud Sky Lake Fisherman

Anyway, it was freaking cold, my feet were frozen after about an hour and I wear 7MM neoprene surfing booties. Had to dip my feet in the water a lot just to keep warm!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice job braving the cold, and you were rewarded with some fish :).

How heavy of a rod are you using for the bama rig?

How does the fight of that white bass compare to the black ones?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rod is a 7'10" BPS Mag Heavy with Fast Action, 1-4oz rating. Works well enough but I'm shopping for a better rod for a-rig and bigger swimbaits. Its paired with a Tranx 401 with 20lb izorline platinum copolymer. The reel is a monster but I use it in salt on some big St. Croix semi custom poles. I have some smaller frame shimano curados I could probably use but really like how stout the Tranx is when winching the a-rig in.

The rod was $99 and I had some Cabelas bucks so thought it would be a good back-up stick eventually. No complaints with it at all so far.

The white bass fought pretty good but not as strong as a black bass.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice fish! I've always been a little intimidated by the a-rig... I might have to give it a try now that I have a mag heavy setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts