Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a late report. Had the chance to go out of the valero station at Kingsland last sunday around 8am. First time I'd ever fished LBJ and didn't have a plan in place at all. Thought I'd let the conditions dictate what I'd do.

Saw that the water temp was 75 and thought that'd trigger a movement into the creeks. Liked seeing all of that willow grass. I can imagine the fishing being awesome around all of that grass in a couple of weeks or so, both in those creeks and the mainlake. I stayed in what I think was the Llano arm the whole day (made a right out of the ramp).

Caught a nice fish close to 3 lbs on a fluke near the mouth of a creek. Found lots of baitfish around the mouths of two creeks and figured I'd make that my pattern for most of the day. Sadly, that fish I caught would be the best one I'd land. Kept on throwing that fluke and had a couple of hits/misses, but that was about it.

Tried skipping plastics around docks near the mouths of creeks and had a couple of bites but no hookups.

Threw a lot of reaction baits such as cranks/blades and really didn't get anything going on at all.

Got off the water in the early afternoon after catching only a couple more small dinks on a fluke/creature bait. Really liked what I saw in the areas I fished. Lots of seawalls, willow grass, laydowns and stained water. Just didn't figure 'em out as well as I thought I would.

Curious - I had some friends who fished that area last year tell me there's hydrilla to be found. I spent a lot of time looking for that stuff but didn't find any at all. Are there areas that still have grass in the area of kingsland?

I'll probably try to go back in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions about fishing that area will be really appreciated. I'm fishing in a small boat and would really prefer to stay in that arm. Thanks!

· Registered
5,343 Posts
Sounds to me like you might have been up in the colorado arm if you went right after you launched. Be careful if you travel up the Llano river arm of the lake very far. Couple of years ago I had $1400 boat repair that resulted from me hitting a chunk of submerged granite. Only fishing advice I'd have is to flip the heck outta the docks

· Registered
4,330 Posts
4C4F5D5D404C4F572E0 said:
Sounds to me like you might have been up in the colorado arm if you went right after you launched.  Be careful if you travel up the Llano river arm of the lake very far.  Couple of years ago I had $1400 boat repair that resulted from me hitting a chunk of submerged granite.  Only fishing advice I'd have is to flip the heck outta the docks
I agree, there used to be some hydrilla to the left of that ramp. I have some good luck up that arm. Docks are the main target up there along with the points and cuts, back off the lake arm. Thanks for the reprot. That's my son's favorite lake.

· Registered
147 Posts
I have a house up there and fish there almost every weekend. there is alot of hydrilla around horseshoe bay and coves around there but that is far from you area. I agree with just fliping and casting by docks. I would try to find some coves with docks and good vegitation and fish them alot. that what i do. me and my cousin cought a 8 pounder last weekend of a wacky rig

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.