Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much for that argument about rice using more water!
Misinformed again by COA and all the experts!
I would say read it and weep, but Austin's known for even when presented with evidence they are wrong, they still believe utter BS!

Death to Lawns | Dallas Observer

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Yup seen that article. All the scientific facts and urban studies in the world cannot deny the fact that we ALL need to do our part.

Is rice the choice crop for a drought stricken region? Nope.

Is it morally acceptable to water your lawn every damn day when we are still in the worst drought on record? Nope.

I like my lawn, that's why I dug it up and planted drought resistant Tiffway 419 Bermuda. I water my 20'x30' square once a week for an hour or two if I remember to do that. But so far I'm going on 2 weeks without a drop and it still looks fine. The backyard on the other hand.... Well let's just say it doesn't get any love

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
So much for that argument about rice using more water!
Misinformed again by COA and all the experts!
I would say read it and weep, but Austin's known for even when presented with evidence they are wrong, they still believe utter BS!

Death to Lawns | Dallas Observer
By the numbers, it is impossible that watering lawns used more water than what was sent downstream to the rice farmers. Since the entire city of Austin used less water for all its needs than the rice farmers I have to disagree.

http://www.lcra.org/water/water-supply/Documents/2013-Water-Use-Summary.pdf

This isn't to say that water gets wasted, but me watering my lawn once a week for 12 minutes isn't killing our water supply.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
And for what it's worth, Turfgrass is also grown in the same region as rice all along the coast. So talk about double dipping in the water bucket.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I stopped reading. The author is a d-bag who is using his data findings to justify his lameness. The author admits that he doesn't mow his grass; then when his 70yr old neighbor takes the liberty to do it for him, he makes fun of the man for being older than him. This guy needs to have his ass beat then put on some mandatory lawn care payment plan.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I stopped reading. The author is a d-bag who is using his data findings to justify his lameness. The author admits that he doesn't mow his grass; then when his 70yr old neighbor takes the liberty to do it for him, he makes fun of the man for being older than him. This guy needs to have his ass beat then put on some mandatory lawn care payment plan.
Dallas

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I haven't watered my lawn since 2011. It doesn't look near as nice as my self absorbed neighbors who water every day but it makes me feel good to try and do my part for something that I am passionate about! (Water & our lakes) I also don't judge anyone who waters their yard, just living my life the way I want to.

Btw...Matt, what's up Holmes! Hope all is well!

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I haven't watered my lawn since 2011. It doesn't look near as nice as my self absorbed neighbors who water every day but it makes me feel good to try and do my part for something that I am passionate about! (Water & our lakes) I also don't judge anyone who waters their yard, just living my life the way I want to.

Btw...Matt, what's up Holmes! Hope all is well!
What's up brother!! Hope you're doing good bud. BTW I don't water my lawn either. The result has been interesting because I learned that st augustine will recover and grow again after turning into a carpet of crisp burnt hay!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My 20x40 patch of Bermuda does the exact same thing! I got a brief summer rain 3 weeks ago and it went from brown and crunchy and greened up. On its way back to crunchy now but it will be going into it's dormant stage towards the end of the month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts