Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a few reports to put up, been fishing and not posting 馃槢.
The wife and I took the day off a couple weeks ago and got a sitter for the little man.
We rented pedal yaks on lake travis from 2-7p.
The goal was just to "catch" and not really care about size, so we opted to fish mostly 2.8 keitechs on a BPS weedless offset jighead 1/8th oz.
We were in the Hurst creek arm and just stayed in that area, as it had plenty to fish.
We found a bank early on and started catching just pitching up at the shoreline.

Eventually the wind picked up a bit more and we opted to drift fish the swimbaits along a rocky bluff.
I picked up most of my fish this way, almost a bite per drift, and lost a good fish pulling the hook, it felt like a drum or a cat as it stayed down and had that "tractor pull" type of fight.
I got one cool looking guad that pulled like a slot lmb lol.
The wife is still learning LMB fishing but she picked up a couple bass, including a very cool looking guad as well.
I got about 8 or so, it was a pick bite, and a new lake for both of us.

Couple pics -

Glasses Smile Sky Cloud Vertebrate

Water Fisherman Fish Fishing Recreational fishing

Water Fish Fishing Ray-finned fish Tail

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good point, and I actually found myself questioning whether it was a smallmouth or a guad as well, especially with that red eye, but the pattern didn't really resemble a smallie to me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They say that Guads and Smallies don't intermingle...at least you caught some fish !
Where did you hear that? I've read a lot of articles that introducing smallies into native guad waters almost ran the guads extinct because they spawned so much it was almost all smallies/hybrids left over. They had to take efforts to stop stocking smallies and stock a lot more guads in places to get them to start coming back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts