Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got on the water at 9 am little to no wind, came across LM and whites working pods of bait off of main lake points. Picked up one white and this healthy 3+pounder throwing Roberts favorite CB. (sorry left the camera at home again!! cell phone pics!!!)

Bite turned off promptly at 10a so trolled around and picked up a few more LM but I was looking for crappie or cats for the fryer, so stopped LM fishing and whipped out the flour tortillas. Went to a spot were I had spotted tons of perch earlier and threw a line out. As I was rigging up a crappie line my cat rod doubled over. I grab it and line starts peeling off! Big fish!! I get her to the boat and see that this is a huge cat, would be my personal best and as I get her to the boat the hook just falls out and I watch her swim away!! The disappointment wore off and I put some more tortilla on and hook a decent cat right away and the one I lost is following, she was big enough she could have swallowed the 22 incher whole and I thought for a moment she was going too!! I landed the 22 incher and rigged up and immediately caught a 19 incher. Rigged up again and bam she bites and I put every inch of backbone in my All Star UL into the hookset! We fight for near 15 minutes before I somehow fit her into the net and haul her fat a$$ into the boat! I reach down to grab her by the inside of the gills and she promptly rolled out of the net and back into the water!!! ??? So, after 5 more minutes of fighting I get her back into the net and into the boat and this time I use my grips to lift her from the net. I'm excited and bummed at the same time because I realized that I left my digital camera at home and all I have to take her pic with is my stupid mobile!! Oh well, had to make the best of it so I look around and there is a boat floating nearby, I stuff her into the live well and head over and asked if they could please take my pic since I had just landed my PB cat. They were kind and agreed even though I think I interuppted some quality sunbathing ;)! Thanks to you two for helping me out, wish I would have got your names!!

I think this cat is somwhere between 35 or 40 pounds.

I released her so that she could spawn out that 15 pounds of eggs she had in her belly.

She could have swallowed this 22incher whole!!

After the catfishing calmed down I decided to see if I could find some crappie so I started trolling and found them in 25 feet of water to complete the quad.

Total fish count ended up being 3 whites to 15 1/2 inches trolling deep diving CB in light colors off of points early and near deep water docks in the afternoon, 3 Crappie to 15 inches all caught on the coach dog DD14 near steep shorelines in 35 ft, 4 cats to est. 35 to 40 pounds caught on flour tortillas and a hook and 8 LM to 3 pounds all caught on CB in 15 to 35 feet best five would have been 10+ pounds. I love days like today!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Nice Cats, I have actually been wanting to catch a couple. I was not to sure what bait I was going to try. So you used a Flour tortilla on a Trebile hook, ? I would have though the tortilla would have floated. I am heading out to Travis at 9am Tatum Cove

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Wow? Tortillas? Didn't know that, Is there any special way to rig em, or you just put it on the hook, and how much? a whole tortilla? I'm curious, cause I caught 3 keepers cats last weekend, and I'm going to the same spot tonight.

Great report!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had never heard of anyone using flour tortillas, one day while hanging out in Cow Creek with my wife I saw some people throwing a bunch of bread to ducks and thought there might be some cats under there picking off the scraps. We were cooking fajitas and I had some flour tortillas so I put a piece on a hook and threw it over next to the ducks and immediatley caught a cat. I've found out over the years that the most efficient way to use them is to rip off a piece about 3 inches long and dunk it briefly in the water, fold over 3 times and squeeze all the air out then put it on a 2/0 worm hook, no weight or float just the hook and line, cast it gently and just let it sink. If the tortillas are stale dunk them longer and expect to lose a bunch to flaking, the staler they are the less they stick to the hook but stale ones will still catch fish, the tortillas I used for these cats were about 6 months old!. It also helps to chum up the area with similar sized pieces of tortillas, some wil float some will sink and if your in clear water like LT you will be able to see bait, cats, carp and perch feeding. Lots of fun and easy to do, also remember that the plastic packaging that the tortillas come in will bleed ink onto the deck of your boat if you leave it out in the sun. :p

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
may have to try the tortillas. I fished travis last wed and thurs and saw lots of channel cat while flipping for bass. Mini report: we caught lots of bass (mostly dinks but fun) on watermelon 5 inch grubs along steep banks. bite picked up good 7 till dark. topwaters worked great after dark for bass. Then we hit the lights for some sandbass action. Here's a decent guadalupe

my friend caught her first fish ever this week!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Great report Skiff and congrats on the monster catfish.

Bass-n-bay, that's a really nice Guadalupe, nice fishing partner too! ;D

·
Registered
724 Posts
Great report! Try this sometime.
French Fries also work real well on Travis.  
The ones from the frozen section. Try The Pier about 9 or 10 pm, right after closing. You can catch Blue Cats like the ones in you're pics one right after the other, up to 60 lbs.  :eek: Really! Look up the closing times because the patrons get really upset when you catch their prized pet fish!  :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.