Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at Mansfield Dam at 8PM. Trip was until 12AM.

Tried to find some schoolers, but the winds started blowing pretty good gusting to 25Mph out of the SE.

Fished docks with lights primarily using jigging spoons. Caught approximately 5 perch, 20 white bass and 8 largemouth up to 2.5lbs. A few of the largemouth were caught on 1/2 oz. white hair jigs. I started throwing these to target the whites, but found the largemouth like them just as much. Will be using them more on my trips.

Highlight of the night was about a 40lb buffalo carp I caught which took me forever to get in. Thought it was a catfish and he put up one heck of a fight. Maybe it was the lake record? I'll post the pics when I get them. Is there a section for carp reports?
;-)

One of my clients ended up snagging one in the tail, you can imagine the fight.

See you on the water.

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Prolly 40lbs- Carp fight better than bass ;).

If anybosy is interested in learning some new skill sets or need an opportunity to fish, give Robert a shout. You're pretty much garunteed to have fun.

kp

·
Registered
95 Posts
40 lb carp is a world of hurt on any bass rod. Imagine a freight train on the end of your line, pure power. As long as you have open water, no worries, other than having a good drag set up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate to say it, but it was actually fun catching it.

I was using 12lb XT on an 6.5' Fenwick HMXT rod with a Shimano Curado.

He made many lunges before we finally got him up to where we could take a picture.

·
Registered
462 Posts
There is a reason why carp are considered a sport fish in just about every country but the U.S. They are strong fish. I've accidentally foul hooked carp during spring white bass fishing trips on light tackle and had a blast. I've also been known, when the black bass bite is slow in the spring, to intentionally foul hook carp that are spawning in the shallows. I've even used a mixture of Big Red soda and 100% bran flakes to target carp when I lived on a private lake in Houston and the bass weren't biting (or I was lazy and just hanging out drinking beer).

The best way to cook them is to nail them to a 2x4, place them in an oven on broil for about 10 minutes, throw away the carp and eat the 2x4, but they are great fun to catch and a challenge on light tackle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.