Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at Dink Pearson and Fished from 7PM till 10:30PM. A front was moving in so had to get off the water early. Water temp ranged from 79 to 81 degrees.

Primarily fished docks with lights. Clients boated around 15 to 20 fish, all caught on slabs. Four largemouth were caught, one probably 5lbs.  The rest were whites. Also caught what I think is a 2 to 3lb Tilapia, see below for pics:

http://bassmanaustin.com/Gallery/strange_fish.jpg

http://bassmanaustin.com/Gallery/b5lb.jpg

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Robert,

sounds like a fun trip. Nice bass too. that's a trip that tilapia are in there. I was told that tilapia kick the bucket when the water gets colder than 60 degrees. I guess that's not the case since they keep showing up in reports and LT gets colder than 60 degrees

·
Registered
158 Posts
1631372C2631293C072C3F2B303636450 said:
Yup, that's a tilapia!
So, out of curiosity (and in case I happen upon one of these...)  Does this rule from the txpwd apply to that fish?

It is a violation to:
Fail to immediately remove the intestines from tilapia, grass carp, or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, except on those waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect. In those waters, it is illegal to possess grass carp. Any grass carp caught must be immediately returned to the water unharmed. Please see our list of waters with Triploid Grass Carp Permits or call Texas Parks and Wildlife at 1-800-792-1112 (menu 4) or 1-512-389-4444.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/fish/general_rules/

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
7C716E1D0 said:
[quote author=1631372C2631293C072C3F2B303636450 link=1244048881/0#1 date=1244049036]Yup, that's a tilapia!
So, out of curiosity (and in case I happen upon one of these...)  Does this rule from the txpwd apply to that fish?

It is a violation to:
Fail to immediately remove the intestines from tilapia, grass carp, or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, except on those waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect. In those waters, it is illegal to possess grass carp. Any grass carp caught must be immediately returned to the water unharmed. Please see our list of waters with Triploid Grass Carp Permits or call Texas Parks and Wildlife at 1-800-792-1112 (menu 4) or 1-512-389-4444.

[/quote]

Wow...thanks for the link. I found the TPWD page dealing with exotic and prohibited species, but couldn't find any info there regarding how we should dispose of them. They really ought to add a link from that page to this one.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1C7B1E39393D3332560 said:
[quote author=7C716E1D0 link=1244048881/0#4 date=1244070367][quote author=1631372C2631293C072C3F2B303636450 link=1244048881/0#1 date=1244049036]Yup, that's a tilapia!

It is a violation to:

[/quote]

Wow...thanks for the link. I found the TPWD page dealing with exotic and prohibited species, but couldn't find any info there regarding how we should dispose of them. They really ought to add a link from that page to this one.[/quote]

I'll do even better than that...how about filletting and frying up in a pan? ;-)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nosir, Travis would be off limits for me 30 days before if I did. I probably won't be fishing BassChamps any more on Travis because of the guide limit rule of 30 days...still can't see how picking out backlashes from customers gives guides an unfair advantage. Good luck to those fishing it...don't throw topwater, they are not biting it.
;-)

·
Registered
351 Posts
only the surface temp. gets bellow 60.tilapia have been in travis breeding for many years.the first time i seen one on travis was in the early 90s.the population has exploided.yes,you must remove the intrails ,to discarded it you should eat it,they are excellant table fare. just one other thing,a kid that young should have lifejacket on and secured properly. :)guide responsibility. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's true, he did have a life jacket on but only had one snap strapped, good point, that's a responsibility which should not be taken lightly, guiding or not. Need to make sure I enforce that in the future. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Lame rule for sure. It will probably rain w/ howling winds tornadoes and thunderstorms the day of the tournament anyways, it always does.. The Bass-Champs curse I like to call it.

Tipatilia/ Tilapia, I told you that was a Funkmaster-Flex perch (funkus maximus pesca). Only in Lake Travis due to all of the marijuana ashes being dispursed thoughout the lake.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
527F527F4F587F7C7D7563100 said:
hey bassman,we allow pro's to fish our tourney on decker,come on out we would love to see you. :cool:reggie is 5 to 5:30 today.
LOL, thanks for the offer but I don't feel like donating my money to you on Decker..haven't been on it in a year...also, something always happens when I am out there at night...gun blasts at the ramp, people fighting, tires squealing, etc..you know the deal.
;-)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.