Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a remarkable 2008 rookie season of fishing my first tournament trail, 2009 has been extremely tough.  For the past few months I've been wondering why I ever got back into the sport and have been trying to shake the funk off my fishing.  

How do you know it's time to take a break?  When the excitement and anticipation before a tournament are replaced by monotony.  To make things worse, Mike and I paid our way into the last Champs event on Belton and didn't even show up to fish it.

A good buddy told me rather than opting for putting your head down and fishing harder, hold your head high and appreciate the fact you have the opportunity to be out on the lake.  Let go of everything holding you back and have fun doing it.

I never really understood what that meant until yesterday.  

Mike and I took his oldest son, Preston, out to Travis for a few hours in the evening.  After a rather slow day on the water we were about to call it quits...luckily we made one final stop as Preston ended up catching the largest fish of the trip and his new personal best!

I recall looking over at him setting the hook, his rod doubling over and thinking to myself he was hung on the rocks.   But then the line started moving off and Mike and I looked at each other and thought the kid might actually have a fish.  It took several seconds of Preston diligently cranking away before the fish showed itself; and when it finally did we both let out a couple of expletives...ear muffs for sure!

The first time the fish came up and shook its head it was about 20 yards from the boat and looked to be 6-7 pounds easy.  After what seemed like an eternity Preston finally got the fish close enough to the boat for us to net it.  Preston's fish ended up weighing a little over 5 pounds but I felt like we had just broke the lake record!

It's hard to put into words what I felt after witnessing this first hand.  I've been fishing a lot over the last couple years and yesterday ranks right behind our Rayburn trip in terms of fun and excitement.  

Thanks again Preston for remindning me why I fish...it's not about winning, being better than the next guy or who catches more or bigger fish.  It's all about enjoying the time on the water with friends and family; and the more I think about it the more I realize the only reason I'm even fishing is because of the buddies I've met through the sport.

So the next time anyone sees me moping around a tournament weigh in please feel free to pull my jersey over my head and punch me in the gut!

By the way, Preston's fish came on a watermelon red fluke and our best 5 would have been 16-17 pounds (including Preston's fish) just goofing around with the kid. Fish were caught all over the place on the upper end using jigs, flukes, crankbaits and jerkbaits.  I have a feeling we'll see a lot of good sacks next week at FOM.

Here are a couple more of Preston's fish...

Most of his fish came dropshotting a watermelon/gold Yamamoto Kut Tail around docks.  The kid is an extremely fast learner and even started selecting his own colors and baits by the end of the trip!

· Registered
5,334 Posts
Thats a great story Andy. I'm glad you think you figured it all out. I tried the whole tournament thing but I found that the pressure took away most of the fun I would normally have. I agree that its not about winning, its about spending time with friends and taking advantage of the time we are given. Cool story for sure. :)

· Banned
1,633 Posts
Good write up Andy and congrats to Preston.  Heck of a Travis fish.   Glad to hear that your head is back in the game.  Some people just aren't wired for competition and that is fine.  But others are definitely wired for it and no matter how hard or how competitive it is, the result is still fun.  It's what you make of it.  You my friend are wired to compete. If not then you could just show up to weigh in and get all the friendship and quality time with the guys you want and save yourself an entry fee.

See you on the water!

PS:  I wanna hear and see some Maui stories...  

· Registered
435 Posts
What a great story, Andy. It sounds like y'all were there to participate in the creation of a new fisherman.

I agree, our time on the water is a blessing. Sometimes things go your way and sometimes they don't. I mainly get upset with myself over execution errors. As you mentioned, the key is to have fun and enjoy yourself. The rest, if any, is gravy.

· Banned
1,780 Posts
Good story Andy- I too enjoy watching the kids when they go out with me and hook up with fish.

In fact anytime I go with family / friends, break from the standard prefishing mindest, and load up on fish is always a fun.
(hence whites and stripers)

Good Luck at FOM this Sat.

kp

· Registered
10,698 Posts
Great story and report!  Thanks for sharing that.  I think it's way better to get our kids into fishing than all the computer games/TV/brain rot stuff available to them these days.  And as you wrote, watching them catch a nice fish like that is bad to the bone.  For me, it's seems better than catching the big fish myself.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Very well said Andy. It is great getting out with the kids. My young one caught a 5.1 out on Travis a week ago Friday. Great feeling as a father. In addition, great to see a friends son or daughter catch one.

We all get in a funk every once in awhile. Hence, why I am not fishing on Wed nights right now... :) but you got keep realizing that half of it is just being out.....

Cheers!!

· Registered
541 Posts
Seems like these things happen every so often that keep us going for the "gold." We have had an off season too, but feel good about it because we haven't just shot for a limit, but rather a win- We had a new mind set going into this year... and don't have a regret one, actually been having an AWESOME year (fun-wise!)...
Taking the KIDS fishing is what it's all about! Good Job and glad it was fun! Thats a huge draw to being in full support of the Kids Outdoor Zone- We have stepped up to doing more events with the kids this year, and I'll tell you it's more full-filling than any check I have won! (20 G's would feel pretty nice though!  :cool: ) I simply love it.
I might be a bit backwards though... If I'm not taking a kid fishing, or fishing for a tournament, theres no point to me! haha- Maybe because I talk about it all week, and fish all weekend!?
Good Job, and the Big man above will bless you for your grace! Good luck the next couple weeks on Travis, and hopefully we'll be standing next to you on stage ;)!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.