Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hit up Lake Travis yesterday evening (three of us).  Put in at Mansfield Dam around 7:30 and pulled out around 11:00.

I know there was already a post on the striper kill, but it really was quite sad.  Lots of dead floating stripers.  Hope there are still a lot of them left in there.

Went up to coves around Arkansas Bend and fished until dark.  We each caught a bass (crank bait, TR worm, and a jigging minnow) with the last one being around 2 lbs.  Nothing major and the surface activity was dead.  Since things were slow, I put a worm on a size 8 hook and caught sunfish until we lost count.

Once it got dark, we fished lights.  It was slow, but we saw lots of fish.  My son caught his first crappie (jigging spoon), so that made things worth the effort.  We will turn in the paper work to make this a Lake Travis Jr. record (because there is currently no record in the Jr. category).  We have a certified scale on the boat now so it makes things easy.  So if you see a yellow Nitro and need a certified weight, just call me over.  :)

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
726A575A5D4A4C4B380 said:
Learned via The Southwest Outdoors Report that Stripers will not stay above the Thermocline and will suffocate hence the dead fish.  
JR
Interesting information James, I had never heard that.

rattoomaniac: Thanks for the report and congrats to your son!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1B033E3334232522510 said:
Learned via The Southwest Outdoors Report that Stripers will not stay above the Thermocline and will suffocate hence the dead fish.  
JR

I guess that is why you just see stripers floating around. Wild that they would suffocate rather than move out of their comfort zone.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We got word there was a guy out the evening of, and cut a lot of striper loose after catching them and bringing them into Mansfield.  Problem is, he did this after who knows how long after catching them.  We heard he was out "catfishing", and didn't want the stripers.  That's fine, but why keep them and cut them loose at the ramp?  Based on the size and # I personally saw floating in the lake, I can't imagine what livewell would have given them a prayer of survival.  

Was a shame, as there were a lot of big ones floating around dead.  

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah, I don't think whoever could have had 60 striper in their livewell. :D There were also several big gaspers. Also, though, why wasn't there a fishkill a couple years ago when we had the hottest summer on record? Weird. I'm no scientist so I have no clue. Just sucks to see all those dead fish. Can only imagine how much fun those would have been to catch.

Sorry for your thread getting highjacked rattoomaniac. Congrats to your son on the junior record. How big was it by the way? Always awesome to get the kids out fishing. ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was on lake Austin yesterday (Sunday) and saw a 24" striper floating near Commons Ford. I suppose it is possible for a floating striper to get sucked into the turbines, and end up in LA????

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Congrats to your son!  How many species does he have in the "caught" category now?

Regarding the dead striper, somebody above asked the question of why so many now and not so many when we had the record drought/heat?  One theory might be that because more water is available in the lake this year, LCRA is generating more, and the generation process (turbulence? is creating shallower thermocline or poorer O2 saturation?) causes more deaths than air temp alone.  Definitely depressing to see all that meat go to waste.  Guess the buzzards are having an early Thanskgiving feast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.