Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the area and have only been out on lake Travis once so far - going out for the second time tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out the best place to launch from with my boat. I have a little 14ft with a brand new 15hp merc on it, so I can get around but I can't zip from one end of the lake to another, I need to stay in the same general area of the lake for my entire outings. I live in Leander so planning on putting in at cypress creek or sandy creek, maybe Jonestown. Anybody have and advice where to start with a small set up like mine so I don't spend all day trying to get from one place to another?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Based on the reports from this forum you could probably stay in one of those creeks all day and catch fish. Lake travis has long stretches of open water so just mind the wind forecast.

I grew up fishing in a 14 ft jon boat and know those 2 ft swells can increase the pucker factor substantially.

If you don't have any electronics get on google earth and find you some spots that look fishy before getting on the water.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Either Sandy or Cypress should be fine. My only suggestion was going to be to pick a large creek arm and stay in there the whole time. The bigger creek arms can basically be treated like their own lake... but looks like you've already got the idea with fishing in either Cypress or Sandy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess I'll give sandy creek a shot for tomorrow, hopefully they're hungry!

·
Registered
285 Posts
On weekends when the lake is busy, I suggest drive a little further up to Gloster Bend. Whole other lake up that way and not as many cigar boats. Other ramps that are fine for our side of town (Leander): Arkansas Bend, Dink Pearsons (both off of Lohman Ford Rd in Lago Vista), Jonestown is nice too and has a dock if you like to tie up and park the truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip about gloster bend, I'd been wondering if there were any public boat ramps farther upstream on the north side of the lake - now I know.
Ended up fishing sandy creek today and did pretty well. Between 2 people caught and released about 15 largemouth and one spot (I think, maybe a Guadalupe?) mostly dinks, my best was just shy of 3 pounds, also got on the whites for a bit and brought home a few for dinner. This was my first trip actually fishing on Travis, last time out was in December and was just breaking in my outboard, so pretty stoked on it.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
here's the TPWD fishing report from their website. You probably won't catch any since black bass, white bass, and crappie are slow. Might want to try a black spinnerbait with a large colorado blade to accommodate the murky water conditions!!

Water murky; 60–64 degrees; 0.95’ low. Black bass are slow. Striped bass are slow. White bass are slow. Crappie are slow. Channel and blue catfish are slow. Yellow catfish are slow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Excellent advice from several so far about concentrating on one of the larger creeks. Although not applicable this weekend, since north wind is forecast, Cypress Creek arm is generally better protected from the prevailing south wind on Lake Travis. That being said, I seem to have more success on the Sandy Creek arm.

·
Registered
142 Posts
here's the TPWD fishing report from their website. You probably won't catch any since black bass, white bass, and crappie are slow. Might want to try a black spinnerbait with a large colorado blade to accommodate the murky water conditions!!

Water murky; 60–64 degrees; 0.95’ low. Black bass are slow. Striped bass are slow. White bass are slow. Crappie are slow. Channel and blue catfish are slow. Yellow catfish are slow.
TPWD-Thats the outfit that killed Lake Austin right? I haven't seen Travis this clear since the mid 70's

·
Registered
290 Posts
Can you tie up your boat at either Cypress or Sandy Creek? Or do you have to beach it? I'm usually myself or I have my wife with me who won't park the trailer or back down a ramp. So I have to launch and park the tow rig.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you put in at jones brothers park in Jonestown you can tie up. They have a real nice boat dock. It's not a bad walk to the parking area either. It's a $10 honor system pay thingy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I launch at Sandy by myself all the time. I pull up to the left next to the ramp and stop the boat before it hits the shore. Throw my anchor up onshore with 10-feet of slack and push my boat back off. The south wind will keep it parallel. Pull the boat back onshore push off and roll. There are a few willows there but nothing too dense. The bank has a good slope so the back end has plenty of water under it. Repeat the drill when loading up. Cypress is the same but less slope and the wind blows straight into it. Also it has a very small parking lot that fills up fast.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Invest in a vinyl bow saver and don't worry about beaching on mud or sand. Nothing helps with rocks but you can usually find a place to beach the boat where a bow saver is all you need.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have zero problems beaching at Sandy......in fact, 99% of my trips are solo and I've yet to find a Travis ramp that you can't comfortably beach at. Gloster doesn't have a dock but aside from the 1 large concrete block, there is plenty of soft shoreline. But then again.....I have a keel guard and I like to put it to work.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you are going to be grounding your boat On Travis or Buch I highly reccommend a keel guard. I have one on my boat and it has saved my ass more than once. It will also give you some protection from debri in the lakes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts