Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got on the water at about 8:45 and headed uplake from Pace Bend. We fished the small coves right at the confluence of the Perd and Colorado. I caught the 21" 5 1/2lb in one of those coves at about 9am. We fished until about 1 hitting coves uplake past Gloster Bend. Between my friend, his daughter, and I we caught about 30 fish with the best five being about 16 1/2 - 17 lbs. All fish were caught on Berkeley Finesse Power Worms in Blue Fleck worked very slow. The bites were soft and had to allow 3 - 4 seconds and good tension before the hook set. We probably missed another 40 or so. All fish were caught in 2-4 ft of water.
I also threw CB and SB with no luck. Kept going back to the worm and catching.
We did not leave them biting as the bite quit about 12:00 for us. We saw a lot of bass in the shallow water between 12 and 1 but could not get them to take anything. Packed it up and headed to RO's BBQ for an awesome lunch. I have never been there before but will be back. THe peanut butter pie is to die for.

· Registered
26 Posts
What a great day to be on the water. Nice fish you've got there.

And to top it off at RO's BBQ - yummy. I agree with you on the peanut butter pie (I also love their chocolate and their coconut pies) - and their prices are great, too.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It was a beautiful day to be on the water. The best part of the day was my friends 17 year old daughter saying on the way home," This was one of the best days I have had in a long time. This is fun. Let's do it again." Yep, she is hooked on fishing. BTW, she did catch a small black crappie on a finesse worm in the back of Red Rock Creek.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to agree with you about RO's. We stopped there on a whim. You can feel the history when you walk in. I hear their chicken fried steak is the best around. I am thinking another fishing/eating trip next week. I may put in at Grelle in my yak and fish that area, bypass Opies BBQ and stop at RO's on the way home.

· Registered
874 Posts
Looks like you guys had a great day.

Yep, the one bite I did get was on the Sinko warm, TX Riged. Wasn't ready for the bite, it was suttle. Guessed I learned two things today.

I wished we would have brought a camera. Talk about kick myself. It is the second time I went out and forgot the camera home.

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Great report! Sounds like a great day, I've gotta say, I do all of my fishing, in the same area, but lately I have been going for Crappie, it's the same area, but ive just been in about 20 or more ft of water or so, and I wanted to say, that lately I have been doing a lot of night fishing, and from 4 to 7 ive noticed, a lot of bass around, especially stripers, chasing the schooling shad, but a lot of largemouth at those times, as well, we start catching the bass, and ends up slowing down around noon just like you said on your post. At the same time, I have been catching Shad right from the lake, I know a lot of people have more satisfaction, knowing that they caught these bass on a lure, but i just wanted to comment, about how well the shad have been doing lately. On Bass, and Crappie.

Oh yea, RO's is Finger Lickin Good.

· Registered
4,330 Posts
ave beeRe: Lake Travis 4/5/08

Nice fish robertotdr. Sounds like you had a good day. I was out in that area as well. I launched at Gloster and fished the coves up lake. I caght 29 mostly small fish on different CBs. I did catch a few whites, a gasper, a crappie and a 7lb carp. I lip hooked the carp, I think it made him mad when it hit the water and he just head slapped it. All my LMB ran on the small size, my best 5 would have been around 8lbs.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now we did catch some really small fish as well. One slightly bigger than the finesse worm. Basstrack What color CB were you using? We did see some white schooling action but decided not to pursue.

· Registered
4,330 Posts
The two best colors working for me today were a shad, kind of a splatterback and a brown/green brim color. I had better luck with larger CBs early and down sized later in the day.

· Registered
30 Posts
I went out there today for a couple of hours to get used to my new to me boat and learn the sonar. I fished a little around Baldwin Bend and could see fish and got two to take a watermelon paddle worm but could not boat them. They were teasing me today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.