Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to Travis by myself last week and had a pretty good day. Started around 10am and by 2pm, my best 5 fish were right at 19 pounds. I called Brian to come join but by the time he go out there the wind had laid down and the fishing wasn't as good as before. Overall I caught probably 35 fish last Friday, but the better quality fish came when the wind was blowing harder. You've heard you should of been here last week, or you should of been here yesterday, this was one of those you should of been here two hours ago days. We still caught fish later in the day, but the bigger fish were not biting as well.

I was looking for windy points with chunky rock ledges or flats on tips of points that were around 10-15 feet deep. Anywhere I could find a good 12 foot deep chunky rock area off a windy point, there were fish to be caught. I was flipping weedless Texas rigged plastics in these windy areas and picking off some nice really healthy looking fish. You had to weed through a few dinks on every spot but the good fish were there as well.

Here were my best five:

6.4 pounds

The fatty twins 3.6 and 4.6 lbs:

2.4 and 2.1, that 2.4 was fat

Belly shot of the fatty twins

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Good work John. I'll be out this weekend although I will most likely working a heavy jigging spoon in a small area... LOL (****.)

Oh Yeah...... Sweet hat!

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is encouraging to read such a detailed, informative report on the details of your day on the water. It helps those of us who are not quite so accomplished as most of you guys are. Thank you.
Travis is fishing really nice right now, if an area looks fishy, there are probably fish around. It's going to be really special here in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Great report, John. That's pretty much where I've been finding them too. I found that using a heavy jig helps me get it past the dinks a little better, but also gets caught in the rocks a lot more.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I decided it was time for a change of scenery and headed out to travis for the first time yesterday. I caught 7 with the largest about 5 pounds. I guess I'm happy with that not knowing much of anything about the lake and only fishing 4 hours. I was surprised that I did not see any bedding activity going on. That was really my intention of going out there but I abandoned that fairly quickly and fished the outside of the exposed brush. Nice day on the water. I'll have to get back out there in a few weeks. My only complaint is that the parking area at the Arkansas Bend boat ramp is jacked up. No problem yesterday as there weren't many trucks there but I could see that would be a huge problem.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided it was time for a change of scenery and headed out to travis for the first time yesterday. I caught 7 with the largest about 5 pounds. I guess I'm happy with that not knowing much of anything about the lake and only fishing 4 hours. I was surprised that I did not see any bedding activity going on. That was really my intention of going out there but I abandoned that fairly quickly and fished the outside of the exposed brush. Nice day on the water. I'll have to get back out there in a few weeks. My only complaint is that the parking area at the Arkansas Bend boat ramp is jacked up. No problem yesterday as there weren't many trucks there but I could see that would be a huge problem.
Yeah there really is no rhyme or reason how people park out there. And a lot of times during the week some fella will park his rig pretty much sideways taking up all four spots. The county really should do something to organize and repair that parking lot, that's a protected cove and good boat ramp, if it had more parking I'd use it more often.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts