Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Travis yesterday and today with boxATM and Pflugerville Aggie. Yesterday started around 9am with no wind, temp around 46 degrees warming up to near 80 in the afternoon. Not a cloud in the sky and was an absolute beautiful day. We fished points and steep bluffs catching mostly blacks and a couple guadalupe bass on shakey head and TRig. Most bites came in 20 - 30'. Total for the day was 14 fish. Left around 3pm with a January sunburn.
Went back this morning and tried the same pattern. Caught 5 fish in the first 45 minutes, 1 on crank bait, 4 on shakey head. Then the wind kicked up around 10am and did not stop. Steady blowing 20mph gusting to 30. We gave up after not being able to find much protected water...it seemed like the wind would change directions (unfavorably) each time we moved to a new spot. Decided it was time to load the boat up and call it a day around 1:30. Saw nitroguy out there both days and swapped stories for a bit before heading home. Fun couple days of fishing. Can't wait to get back out there.

D

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
nice to get out some days in a row. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
140A5E0 said:
Great report Don, sounds like y'all had a blast.  Which part of the lake did you fish?

John
JT, we fished around Point Venture mostly. Tried heading toward Arkansas Bend but it was just too windy to keep the boat in place. Saw a couple sailboats out there that looked like they were about to tip over in the crosswind. They're probably supposed to turn like that but it did not look right from where I was standing!

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Thanks for the report. I was out there too enjoying the 80 degree weather (got a January tan), but also blown a bit by the wind. We didn't try that hard for LMB since we'd been up late fishing under the lights, but we did manage a few on 4 inch T-rigged plum worms downstream from Mule Shoe Bend. All our hits were deep, probably 25-40 ft of water, so patience testers. I repeatedly (but stupidly) casted to the bank, hoping some larger fish would be warming up by the shallow rocks, but no takers there.

Because of the wind, I actually put out a drift anchor off the stern to help slow the boat down and save battery. With the stretch of water we were working, the drift anchor was perfect. I normally only use these at the coast when drifting the flats after exhaustion from miles of wading sets in, but they also work in fresh water!

I'm sure am hoping for rain to flood some of the veg that's popping up. That'll making fishing for everything better. Until then, they'll be deep reckon.

Ro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.