Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday, May 16th. Made the 459 miles, one way drive to Vian, Oklahoma. Got to lake to meet some  friends to pre-fish for a bass tournament on weekend. Weather in the area had tornados just earlier in week. Winds were light, cloudy with heavy rain in area. Periods of heavy rain. Weekend series of BASSMASTER was also on same lake, during same days.

Fished from 2pm to  5pm. Caught my first smallmouth bass on wacky rigged, green pumpkin senko. (Pics coming) Caught about 15 more to 3lbs, all on ultralight tackle. What a blast.

Saturday, Launched at 4:30am, along with another 100+ boats. We were in second group of boat to take off. The winds, weather was terrible....
Lake Tenkiller Rules. Any bass can be kept between, 12" to 12.99" and over 16"....Slot is 13" to 15.99"..Kentucky, Smallmouth and Largemouth bass. Weigh in 6 bass....Caught over 30 bass and culled. Only caught 10.6lbs for 6 bass. However, made the cut for Sunday. Saturday winning weight was 20.60lbs. All caught on wacky rigged senkos in watermelon Red and Greenpumpkin.

Sunday, weather started with high winds and heavy thunderstorms. Started at 7am and fished to 2pm. Only caught 2 keepers the whole day. Winds were strong, dodging thunderstorms...Winning weight was 15.75 and big bass was a 4.60lb smallmouth (BB paid $1500)

I will download pics of tournament.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Re: Lake Tenkiller-Oklahoma-Smallmouth Bass

Robert, glad you had a good & safe trip, sounds like fun except for the storms.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Whitehouse secures Oklahoma victory

ATHENS, Ala. – Scouting and patience turned into a winning combination for Trenton Whitehouse during the rainy Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Weekend Series, operated by American Bass Anglers, Oklahoma Division 14 tournament, [highlight]held May 15, 2010, on Lake Tenkiller.[/highlight]
The 44-year-old aerospace employee from Bristow won the Boater Division with five bass weighing 19.11 pounds. He anchored his bag with a 5.23-pounder, although he lost another 5-pounder on the 12,900-acre lake near Cookson. For the effort, he collected $3,183.

“I found some good fish on a bank when prefishing and stayed on that bank all day long,” Whitehouse said. “I fished in 12 to 15 feet of water throwing parallel to the bank with a 1/2- or 3/4-ounce football jig and a twin-tail trailer tipped in chartreuse. Some other boats fished that area, but they were mainly throwing up to the bank. The fish were out deeper.”

Darren Mize, 41, of Spiro landed a five-bass tournament limit weighing 18.41 pounds to take home $1,591 and second place. Catching about 15 bass during the day, he landed one 4.76-pound kicker.

“This lake is fairly close to my house so I was able to practice a bit and find a few fish a couple weeks ago,” Mize said. “Thank goodness they were still there. I lost one good fish that straightened the hook, so put on a heavier jig. The cloud cover and rain probably kept the fish up a little more shallow. I caught them in five to eight feet of water on a 1/2-ounce jig. They wanted it moving fast. I didn’t let them get too good a look at it.”

A mid-course correction put Michael McCarter, 37, of Farmington, Ark., into third among the 79 boaters. He finished with five keepers for 18.36 pounds to win $1,061. He caught about 13 fish, but added $395 to his winning for landing the tournament lunker, a 5.42-pounder.

“I didn’t have any fish at 11:30 a.m., so I switched gears,” McCarter confessed. “When it got calm, I started throwing Lucky Craft topwaters and caught all by two of my fish on top. When the sun came out, I switched to a Bass X finesse jig and caught my biggest fish.”

Brandon Pedigo of Perkins finished in fourth place with five bass going 15.68 pounds. Dexter Woods of Muskogee rounded out the top five with a tournament limit weighing 15.30 pounds, including one 4.85-pounder.

Finishing with Pedigo, George Baker III, won the Co-Angler Division. The 56-year-old Tulsa angler caught three bass going 11.53 pounds, but a dead-bass penalty dropped him back to 11.03 pounds. Still, with the help of a 4.80-pound division lunker, he pocketed about $1,800 in winnings.

“We caught bass with everything from Pop-Rs, buzzbaits and senkos to Carolina rigs,” Baker explained. “We were around a lot of good fish all day. I caught about 15 bass, but Brandon caught way more than 20 fish. He put us on fish. We culled right up to the last minute.”

In second for the non-boaters, Paul Thompson of Stillwater, landed a division limit of three bass for 10.69 pounds with one 4.29-pounder. In third, Monte Eary of Yukon finished with three bass and 9.89 pounds with one going 3.88 pounds.

Winding up fourth for the co-anglers, Patrick Weir of Broken Arrow brought in a three-bass bag anchored by a 4.43-pounder for a total of 9.79 pounds. Nick Muzljakovich of Wagoner finished fifth with 9.41 pounds. He actually caught three bass weighing 9.91 pounds, heavy enough for third place, but suffered a penalty.

Complete Results Click Here

About American Bass Anglers: American Bass Anglers offers over 1,000 tournaments per year in 40 states that are designed for the weekend angler. American Bass Anglers commitment is to provide low cost, close to home tournaments for the weekend angler and at the same time offer each competitor an upward path for individual angler progression. For more information about American Bass Anglers and the American Fishing Tour, The Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Weekend Series, The American 150 Series or the American Couples Series, visit www.americanbassanglers.com.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

Great Report as always Robert. Glad you caught fish and were able to dodge the severe weather they have been having in Oklahoma and make it back to Austin Safely ;). Looking forward to the pics.

Jim

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

As for as the bass tournament I was invited to.....The 26th Annual MacSteel Bass Tournament, I did not place on final day. I only caught two keeper bass, one 16" Kentucky and one 12.50" LMB. On the previous two days, I caught over 30 keeper bass....But the last day the thunderstorms made us move too much. Most of the bass that were caught on the last day, were caught within the last 2 hours of tournament. About the time the bad weather had left. But all of my go to spots were covered by other fisherman. :p

There was a 50% LMB vs 30% Smallmouth vs 20% Kentucky Bass Ratio caught. Most of the bass were in the slot of 13" to 16" were Smallmouth Bass..

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

A few pics of my first few smallmouth bass I have ever caught.

PICTURE OF FRIENDS WINNING 4.60lb smallie

PICTURE OF FRIENDS NEW NITRO Z-7...nice 70mph boat.

Another friend's nice Smallie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.