Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning.. The fising was slow for some and fast for others. The best bite was on swim baits and rattle traps. I would also like to discuss a Issue that took place yesterday on Lake Bastrop and get some feedback. I have been fising this Lake for about eight or nine years and I got my fist ticket yesterday from a LCRA Ranger. He Imformed me that the intake area of the Lake is off limits for boats if you are past the buoys. I know that there is a roped off area that you can not go past but there is three buoys that I thought were no wake buoys but I was wrong thay are NO Boat buoys. I would like to get a petition going to move them back about 100 yards to the roped off area. Please help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Did the three buoys have a chain/rope going across them connecting all to each other. If so then yep you cannot go across them. We did a petition about two years ago to move the discharge buoys back to the concrete. They were moved up around 9/11 to prevent any kind of attack on a power plant. Luckily they moved them back no sure if because of petition or just was time. But we were happy. Might want to talk to the older guy on a 519 commanchee that is out there alot. He found out all the info. I'll let him know about ya.

D

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I have fished beyond those buoys once and did well. I noticed on the way out they were no boat buoys, thought they were no wake buoys on the way in. We caught some good fish in there. I don't see why they don't allow people to go further back in there.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I would think you could get just about everyone on this forum to sign the petition. I know I will, I have fished past the bouys as well, I do know from past experoience the LCRA park rangers can be rather difficult. I was camping out there yrs ago and it seemd like they would not leave me and my roommate at the time alone. I was the dogs, the boat, lifejackets, fire ext etc. One thing after another, I have a cabin reserved out there for the weekend in 2 weeks, and I hope they leave us alone, I am legal with everything and if Im not Im sur ethey will let me know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HawgG, I think every fisherman who fishes Bastrop wants the inlet bouys moved back closer to their original position before 9-11. I have a suggestion that may help you/us find out if this is possible. LCRA also controls Fayette County Lake and there is a guy, Noel Spann, that works for LCRA at the FC powerplant and he fishes FC frequently. He posts reports to www.thefishingcoach.com frequently. Prehaps you can contact him through that forum or at the power plant and determine who is the person(s) that would decide if the bouys could be moved back. At Fayette County, they have similar bouys in the water intake and they are about 25 yds. from the bouys that are roped together across the inlet. My point is, you can get a lot closer to the actual power plant intake on Fayette County Lake than you can on Bastrop Lake. The security issue should be a thing of the past, especially if they moved the hot water discharge bouys back several years ago. Let us all know if we can help and on a side note, I'd fight the ticket. You may be surprised at the outcome. First, it will delay paying for it. Second, it will require the officer to appear in court and he may be too busy to show up and it will be dismissed. It has happened to me on more than one occassion. Third, you can plead your case that you thought they were no wake bouys and you may get a lower fine. Lastly, even if you lose, you will have had your day in court.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live close to Bastrop Lake and fish it almost every weekend. I will be glad to sign the petition. I assume that this holds true for the overflow buoys, which I fish past up to the rope almost every trip. Never thought about the possibility of receiving a ticket for that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey guys,
I havent been to the intake on Bastrop in a while so I dont remember what the bouys say but on Fayette I know they say "No Boat Area" or something like that.
I'm gonna assume that they are the same at Bastrop.
Not sure your gonna have a leg to stand on in fighting the ticket if thats what they really say......
As far as who to contact, I'll send Bo an IM with that info.
If I can help just let me know.
Noel

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was born, raised, and have always fished this lake. That was a GO TO area when I was first learning to top water fish many years ago.

After 911 the buoys came up. Before that, it was totally boomed off for a while.

The cove to the right as you approach is one of the best on the lake! I believe as LCRA stores equipment on that point (it used to be a park), they were probably getting stuff stole.

I too would like to see these areas fishable once again. I don't know what could be done, but this lake is getting more crowded and another two coves to fish would allow more space for sure. This relates to a safety issue, maybe.........

Maybe an online petition on LCRA's website????

·
Registered
718 Posts
the ridiculous thing is that they say that they moved the bouys because of 9-11. Last I checked a couple of floating bouys aren't much protection from a bomb. It's also doubtful that most terrorists would read them and go oh ok we can't bring our boat in here let's go blow something else up. Fight the ticket, Fight the reason they were moved, PM me anything I can do to help. It's time that good people quit being punished for others actions. Bye I'm heading to Decker :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm all in for signing a petition. Cutting off so much of the intake, especially that great cove to the right, is total BS, especially if it's supposedly for "security" reasons. I couldn't agree more with Ben_S - does LCRA really think a few "no boat" bouys would actually deter a terrorist hell bent on blowing up the plant? If so, they probably think a few "Please No Hijacking" signs at the airports would've helped on 911, too.

Move 'em back, move 'em back, move 'em way back, I say.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hawg I am with you. I was retying and my boat drifted into the "No Boat Area" and all the sudden a LCRA Ranger was right there with me. I explained what happened and he said that I had better not fish there anymore. He was a total A$$. :mad: :mad:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.