Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well fellas, thought I had my first double digit this weekend.  Went up to Dallas to take my brother fishing and get away for a few days.  I went and fished my old home lake, Ray Roberts, which is been very tough for me the last couple of trips, but it has it's share of lunkers.

She fell victim to a Senko in 4 feet of water and immediatly headed for the timber, somehow I managed to put enough leverage on her to turn her around and head back towards the boat or I would have never have seen this fish.

If she would have had any kind of belly, she would have broke the magic mark, don't know if she had not spawned yet, or already dropped her eggs.  H20 temps were 58 degrees back in the creeks, 54 main lake.

A little over 9lbs!  My personal best, but still short of the double digit, but can't complain!!! ;D

If you ever have a day to kill in the dallas area I recommend dragging the boat!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sweet fish, my old home lake also.. Was that up Indian or Buck Creek? There are some good fish in there, but it takes a lot of time on the water to figure it out..

I've caught more big bass dropping a slab for Sandies than actually fishing for the bigguns..

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indian...you are right about time on the water. This lake used to have so much grass in it. Hydrilla flats that went on for miles, but that drought we all had killed the grass off and totally changed the lake.
Now it's a structure fisherman's dream...pond dams, road beds, creek channels, not to mention the hundres of acres of flooded timber...but lots of dead water it seems.

I wish I had more time to re-learn this lake. The parking lot at the major boat ramp wasn't even full. I remember 1-1 1/2 mile lines waiting to launch and parking being very tough to find, not any more - seems the dallas guys have given up on it.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Congrats on personal Best!

We were just talking about this lake, when I saw you at Academy.

Lake Ray Roberts has always been a quiet but very good North Texas lake, in my opinion. It is overlooked by Fork and other big bass lakes.

TPWD:

Lake Characteristics
Location: On the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, 10 miles north of Denton off FM 455. The dam is in Denton County but pushes water into Cook and Grayson counties.
Surface area: 25,600 acres
Maximum depth: 106 feet
Impounded: 1987

Aquatic Vegetation
More than half the shoreline has native floating, native submersed, or non-native submersed aquatic vegetation (about 2,212 surface acres in all). Floating species include floating pondweed, American lotus, and water primrose. Native submersed species are American milfoil, bushy pondweed, and Chara. Non-native hydrilla is also present.

Ray Roberts Lake has approximately 2,000 acres of standing timber, located mostly in the upper reaches of both major arms. There is rip-rap along the dam at the south end of the main pool and 2,212 acres of floating and submersed aquatic vegetation. Additional structure is provided by stream channels, flooded main-lake points, inundated pond dams, flooded rocks/boulders/stumps, and 44 inundated brush piles constructed before impoundment.

Use to fish this lake in the mid to late 80's and catch bass to 10lbs. All solid bass. Love to fish plastics on this lake, too!

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys - fishing in that timber is a trip. The guys who know the lanes (like I used to) never take the boat off plane and run through that stuff, 60mph +....

I have to idle because I have forgotten most of my old trails. Only ran up on one stump, pretty good!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.