Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the lake I grew up on.  I hate the little town, but love the big lake.  2000 miles of shore, and over 100 miles long!  It is the most beautiful lake in the world!  It sucks a little with the water 120 feet low, but still a good lake to fish.

Of course, I roll out after a couple of front days and the water has dropped 3-4 degrees.  Not ideal, but still got to wet a line.  

Yesterday we hit the water for 1.5 hours just before dark.  I went with Ron, one of the guys that works for GYCB.  

I caught two stripers and two LMB and Ron got one smallmouth.  I caught my fish on a jig with a flappin hog trailer and a 5" Flash trailer in a prototype color we just made that day.

We hit the water this morning around 7:30 or 7:45am.  Fished until 11am.  The water was about 52-55 degrees depending on how far back in the pockets we were.   Still pretty cold.  Powell is a deep clear rocky lake.  The water is crystal clear blue.  Some places you could read a newspaper in 20 feet.  Other cuts have a little stain to the water.  

I got two little dinks on a crank bait, then watched Ron catch about 5 stripers a smallmouth and two largemouth.  He caught a couple on a tube, and the rest on a crank and a jerkbait.

A little slow for me, but nice to be on Powell again, after 2 or 3 years.  You need to make a trip to this lake before you retire, it is awesome.  Not the big fish like some of the TX lakes, but you can catch a lot of fish and a lot of different fish.  Bass, stripers, big bluegill, walleye.  Late summer to fall is best for all around fishing here.  My daughter and I were up there a few years ago and were chasing striper boils that were averaging  3-5 pounders!  Fun stuff.

Still in AZ, heading to Phoenix tonight and fly home in the morning!

· Registered
993 Posts
That's a pretty lake, with a lot of different species to target too. I watched a show with Roland Martin on one of those lakes (it may have been that one), and they were catching big Striper on topwater. It definitely looked like a blast; i'll have to make it out there someday to fish and golf.

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Great pictures and it sure looked like a fun time.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
I absolutely love Lake Powell. I have not been there since 02. I agree w/ Ninja it is the most beautiful Lake I have seen. I did not know it was that low still. I wonder if it will ever fill up again. We use to go out of Hite for our yearly trip. It was a chore in 02. Probably can't see water now....

Nice Pics...

SM

· Registered
469 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your trip home and caught some fish.

That lake has always looked so beautiful. Water looks so clear. I look forward to visiting it some time in the future.

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, the locals are all talking about the expected run off. 50 feet or so, some days the lake is expected to rise 20 inches a day for maybe weeks at a time. That is a lot of water!

Yeah, that Roland show was here, he shot it with Gary Yamamoto. I wasn't on the show, but was fishing around them with my daughter that year. It was pretty amazing. Lots of fun.

· Registered
469 Posts
I saw that episode. If I remember it was a couple vs. couple dinner bet or something. They ran into some schooling stripers in the back of a cove and started slaying them on top water lures. It looked TOOOOO easy. Made me want to fly there the next day :D

· Registered
1,789 Posts
Looks like a beautiful place. Funny you should make that reference to flappin' hogs. I just bought some of 'em for the first time an hour ago. Looked too awesome to pass up even though I already had my hands full of LFT creatures, Chigger Craws, etx, etx... and I can't wait to see what kind of action I get out of them this Sat at LA.

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Love the pics, really puts a perspective on what my brother is always raving about.  He loves fishing it.  
He's sent me some photo's of some indian art he found on some of the canyon walls.  Really cool!

Such a pretty lake, but it can turn on you in a second.  He thought he was gonna die about 2 years when a storm came in.  He said there were 5-6 ft waves, and he could not get to a cove and he could not beach his boat because it was all canyon walls.  He had bilge pumps running, and had his wife bailing water as she was crying.  He had to do everything he could to keep his boat from crashing into the walls, so he stayed out near the middle.  He said he saw a houseboat nearly sink.

By the way, he usually rents those houseboats for cheap for a few days, and he you can even run the lake with 'em.  

· Registered
3,688 Posts
Fish-Ninja said:
Yup, the locals are all talking about the expected run off.  50 feet or so, some days the lake is expected to rise 20 inches a day for maybe weeks at a time.  That is a lot of water!

Yeah, that Roland show was here, he shot it with Gary Yamamoto.  I wasn't on the show, but was fishing around them with my daughter that year.  It was pretty amazing.  Lots of fun.
I remember that one, That is a very nice lake thanks for the report.

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.