Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What with living in Briarcliff now, my home is equidistant from both Lakes Austin and LBJ. So today I got on the water at LBJ for the first time. Didn't do much fishing, what with mid-day bluebird skies and all, just kinda compared the actual lake to what the map says. It was pretty darn windy, and I didn't go much past Granite Shoals, and got almost stuck in an ultra shallow rock bed across from the LCRA tower.

So, any suggestions the gathered assemblage may come up with to aid in my success on Lake LBJ would be most appreciated. Most of the boat docks I saw in the lower lake seemed to be in ultra-shallow 1-3 FOW. Talking to a few locals at the ramp, there doesn't seem to be much of a deep water bite. Saw some sporadic grass but only spotted one concentrated gaggle of fish suspended in about 8 FOW, but couldn't connect. Might not have been bass.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are two big tournaments coming up on LBJ (River City Bass Club open and TTZ championship), so I doubt you are going to be able to pull much info here if any at all.

Just saying ............... Good luck out there all!

BK

·
Registered
192 Posts
I fished that lake three summers in a row and didn't do very well. A few small random fish and my brother in law hooked into a nasty lunker but without a net it destroyed his gear. It seems to be an awesome lake but I just may not have known what I was throwing. We didn't head out this year but we normally stay at log cabin cove.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Fished a tournament out there about two months ago. There are areas where there is lots of grass around boat docks, weightless flukes in a watermelon or green pumpkin worked well for us. Might want to look into chatterbaits as well.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The rip rap on both sides of the point with the lighthouse is a good area for crank baits. Medium divers or a lipless. After I crank the rip rap, I usually continue down the left hand side and work all the docks down to the power plant. Around the power plant used to be real good, but since they have been working on it (switching from coal to natural gas) I have minimal luck. Heading up the lake from the lighthouse, the first big cove past the shallow water buoys on the left, is usually full of bait and holds fish. A lot of the mid lake is pretty hit and miss for me, but the right hand embankment @ the confluence is good with spinner baits. Once you go under the 1431 bridge on the Colorado arm, the docks on the right as well as the Delaware golf course is good with senkos, b. hogs, and jigs with a craw trailer. I like all the old docks headed up the river, and there are tons of little nooks and crannies to fish. Be careful running up the river from cottonwood until you get a good GPS trail. If you cut the corners to tight, you WILL hit ****- sand bars, rocks, etc. Try to stay in the middle of the river the first few times.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rip rap on both sides of the point with the lighthouse is a good area for crank baits. Medium divers or a lipless. After I crank the rip rap, I usually continue down the left hand side and work all the docks down to the power plant. Around the power plant used to be real good, but since they have been working on it (switching from coal to natural gas) I have minimal luck. Heading up the lake from the lighthouse, the first big cove past the shallow water buoys on the left, is usually full of bait and holds fish. A lot of the mid lake is pretty hit and miss for me, but the right hand embankment @ the confluence is good with spinner baits. Once you go under the 1431 bridge on the Colorado arm, the docks on the right as well as the Delaware golf course is good with senkos, b. hogs, and jigs with a craw trailer. I like all the old docks headed up the river, and there are tons of little nooks and crannies to fish. Be careful running up the river from cottonwood until you get a good GPS trail. If you cut the corners to tight, you WILL hit ****- sand bars, rocks, etc. Try to stay in the middle of the river the first few times.
SMF... Thanks, but couldn't you get a little more specific? ;)

No, seriously, that great post is exactly the kind of information that makes being a member of ABF a pleasure and privilege. I'm printing it out for reference use with the map and GPS. Thanks muy mucho.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
There's 3 primary patterns I typically run into on LBJ: Shoreline grass, docks, or offshore rock piles. The shoreline grass (I believe it's called water willow) is typically pretty good and often holds some fish. It's a good place to throw a frog, buzzbait, spinnerbait, fluke, or to flip with a creature bait or jig. Docks of course will almost always hold some fish, and of course your #1 dock bait will be a senko. I also catch a lot of fish around the docks with a drop-shot or jig as well. Offshore rockpiles are pretty plentiful on LBJ. My most successful baits and techniques here have been crankbaits, drop-shot, or a c-rig. I have gotten on a pretty good deep bite on occasion at LBJ, but more often than not... they can be found shallow.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts

That's the most intelligent post you have ever made on here

There might still be some hope for some of you nor-cal fags

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
^^^ I just won 100 bucks
Before I posted that I called a buddy and bet him that you would fuk that up and jump all over it with a dickhead response .

Well, I guess that leaves out the possibility of HOPE for the nor-cal fags

Carry on asshat

·
Registered
557 Posts
Just "returning" a dick headed response. Like I said I've never done nothing to you, but if you want a war, I'm in. That 100 bucks should buy you plenty of donuts.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I stand corrected. Nice reports guys.
I'm always more than happy to give some general info and general techniques for a lake even before a tournament. Typically, it's going to take a lot more info than what I gave to win a tournament :cool: This'll get someone started though to at least have fun and catch a few fish.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts