Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up at 3am and rolled out of bed, excited for an early start at LBJ. We arrived at LBJ Yacht Club around 6am. After launching, I parked the truck and went down to the dock and lept aboard. As Todd backed away from the courtesy dock, I stepped down from the front deck and stooped to stow my tackle bag next to my rods. I tried to stand up, but my pinkie finger was hooked.

Yeah, not stuck or poked. Hooked. Buried to the bend on the SSJr front treble. I said as much and Todd sprang into action.

I was clumsily untangling rods left-handed while trying to free the lure from its keeper. Todd already had a spool of braid in his hand as he shone his smart phone on my hand and pressed the thumb bar to allow me some slack.

Before I knew it, he already had two knots tied around the bend. I implored him to let me cut off the remaining points. I think he was ready to fish because he told me to just hold them. I cut off the rear treble and two exposed points from the front treble with my Klein long nose pliers. I pushed the hook eye into the pad of my pinkie and closed my eyes. I felt a tug and opened my eyes. The hook was still in my finger. Todd said, “What happened?”

I said, ”I pushed the hook eye the wrong way.” We slid the braid back to the belly of the hook. I pushed the hook eye against the edge of the fingernail. I shut my eyes and muttered under my breath, ”...send it.”

When I opened them the hook was gone. I told Todd if it wasn’t for social distancing I’d give him a hug. I rinsed my hand in the clear cool lake water. We were drifting in neutral in front of the ramp. Todd shut off the big motor and dropped the troller. We didn’t have any electrical tape (note to self, put tape in boat bag) so I applied direct pressure with my thumb for about thirty seconds. I let go of the wound and reached down for a rod and Todd was already swinging his first fish. Nice!

He caught a couple more as safe light dawned. We blasted off for our usual starting spot. As usual, the run out was sublime. I caught a Guad on Chatterbait off the point. The sun peeked and a huge school of whites was busting all around us. We conferred and agreed to put our trophy black bass dreams on hold for a few.

We tossed poppers into the melee. It was kind of silly in hindsight, two hairy legged bass anglers giggling like school girls reeling in sandie after sandie. We’d caught over twenty when I hooked into something with shoulders. A twenty inch largemouth jumped a couple feet in the air. I exclaimed, “I got a black!” but the second jump he spat the Chug Bug back at me. We caught another dozen whites before our ADD kicked in and we went down the shoreline.

The nice man in the lawn chair at the first dock we came to called us out, “You fellas have fun with those whites!”. We grinned sheepishly and nodded. The black bass were a little elusive. We caught them on Texas rig ribbon tail from rocks and wacky senko from bulkheads. The recreational boat traffic was extreme, but Todd’s exceptional boat handling skill kept me calm and comfortable.

We fished some spots uplake that we hadn’t fished before and marked a couple waypoints for next time. Big thanks again to Todd for a great trip and sending that hook. Next time can’t come soon enough!
82A77809-9083-4B7A-8D88-39D283AFEF9D.jpeg 21191679-5152-4E7D-A411-B4D55B61BFDB.jpeg F9848C37-D425-48E8-BEDF-8019FD4D3AC4.jpeg 1D5CDD84-F588-4731-B908-7227EAAEECB9.jpeg 545BF758-384F-479E-A160-FAD7F600E2D4.jpeg

·
Registered
218 Posts
I keep a tube a super glue in my tackle for those moments. Much better than tape. And there is nothing wrong with a school of whites dragging your attention away. That can be a fun way to start the day.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Super glue never lasts long on the boat with me and Todd. Always gets used glueing swing impact fat to squadron head.

If y’all want to make a hook removal painful, go to the Hospital. The surgery can hurt but the bill will damn near kill you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts