Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was disappointed to see that the water level on Bastrop was down about 2 feet. I don't think it evaporated. Most of the grass looks brown and dirty. Hmmmm........

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yep. I figured about 3-4 feet. They opened the dam a few weeks ago in anticipation of the tropical storm that came our way. Unfortunately we didn't get the rain LCRA predicted. They ruined the shallow bite as far as I can tell. Fish were holding in 3-5 fow in good cover that is now dry land and grass.

·
Registered
105 Posts
the shallow bite was fine last week for me, but i did notice the lake down about 3' from the previous week where it was actually UP a couple of feet. my concern is the hydrilla i see creeping back into the lake and beginning to take over certain parts.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
The well water is pumped in at the discharge area. The game warden told me they had two wells to work with, if there are more now, then that's news to me.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
A pump station is not something cheap to opperate. I bet the under ground piping is probably in pretty bad shape by now. Plus you have to keep the pumps going. Not to mention the water shortage in the river.

·
Registered
244 Posts
the shallow bite was fine last week for me, but i did notice the lake down about 3' from the previous week where it was actually UP a couple of feet. my concern is the hydrilla i see creeping back into the lake and beginning to take over certain parts.
LCRA doesn't like the hydrilla coming back but I am thrilled that it is making a comeback. Bass hold in hydrilla better than about any other cover. They must have stopped using chemicals (Sonar maybe) to control the hydrilla when it was nearly all gone. Fished Bastrop Friday morning. Caught 20 up to just under 21". No schooling observed anywhere on the lake. Did well 2 weeks ago with some decent schooling.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I fished yesterday in 10-20 feet and caught plenty. But not many larger size one's. Why draw down the lake and kill the shoreline weeds ( and the shallow bite ) when even the heavy rains we had awhile back did not cause any damage.

·
Registered
105 Posts
LCRA doesn't like the hydrilla coming back but I am thrilled that it is making a comeback. Bass hold in hydrilla better than about any other cover. They must have stopped using chemicals (Sonar maybe) to control the hydrilla when it was nearly all gone. Fished Bastrop Friday morning. Caught 20 up to just under 21". No schooling observed anywhere on the lake. Did well 2 weeks ago with some decent schooling.
i'm ok with some hydrilla but back in 99 or so the lake was just about choked out with it. couldn't hardly run a boat there much less fish. i find the bass have plenty of eel grass to hide in and theyre quite happy with it. if there were no other cover i'd be right there with you, though

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I've been doing quite a bit of guiding out there recently. The shallow bite is still good, but they are just in different areas than they were a few weeks ago before they drew the lake down. The deeper, offshore bite is way stronger than the shallow one though. Just FYI.

·
Registered
290 Posts
LCRA has used a harvester in the past to cut out the hydrilla. Pumping from wells local to the lake is news to me but who am I.....

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I've been doing quite a bit of guiding out there recently. The shallow bite is still good, but they are just in different areas than they were a few weeks ago before they drew the lake down. The deeper, offshore bite is way stronger than the shallow one though. Just FYI.
I ran around for three hours Saturday looking for a good deep off shore bite. Nada for me, but then again I'm no guide LOL. I did have a little luck with deeper grass but only to 10' w/ senkos.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I ran around for three hours Saturday looking for a good deep off shore bite. Nada for me, but then again I'm no guide LOL. I did have a little luck with deeper grass but only to 10' w/ senkos.
They're out there. If you know what to look for, you just have to be persistent and eventually you come across a school offshore that is fired up and ready to party.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LCRA has used a harvester in the past to cut out the hydrilla. Pumping from wells local to the lake is news to me but who am I.....

Yes, there are wells around Bastrop. They were dug to bring water into the lake when there wasn't any in the Colorado to pump in. One of them is easily visible on the right side of the discharge canal as you are going in. With all the rain this year, there hasn't been a need for them. I do not know how much water is in the Colorado right now. If the powers-to-be want to fill the lake back up, they may choose to use the well water.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Lake travis is going down and the river was running yesterday afternoon when I crossed it on 973.Hope that is not leading to something bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts