Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I took the Pond Prowler to Pflugerville. Reports from anglers since the lake opening three weeks ago include >100” best five two weeks ago (I witnessed the last forty inches being caught) and an eight-and-a-half pound giant caught from Copperhead Cove last week. The city has stopped pumping water, but ambitious shallow draft boats can probably launch now that the base of the ramp is covered with six inches of water.

I launched amidst the pre-dawn ramp rush as twenty kayaks piled onto the lake. I thought I’d see what the fuss was about in Copperhead Cove. The pondweed had expanded its range, taking advantage with the denudation of hydrilla. The bass are ensconced in the pondweed and can be coaxed out with chatterbaits and swim-jigs. I also managed to catch a few on TR Ol’ Monster.

By 11am, all the kayakers had left. There were a few paddleboaders and a couple father/son jon boats. I was anchored and drop-shotting the main lake stump when I noticed the canoe. And the catch of the day.

A family of four were cruising in an eighteen foot aluminum canoe. Dad was in the bow providing propulsion forward of pre-teen son and kinder daughter amidships. Mom was the rudderless coxswain. I couldn’t tell if she was absorbed in her phone or videoing the voyage. His strategy seemed aimless, as he alternated between paddling and casting a jig. We both had been biteless for an hour when I heard the boy excitedly shout, “There he is, Dad!”

I looked over and saw the canoe was a couple cast lengths away. The son was pointing at the water between clumps of pondweed and dad was reeling in at light speed. He lobbed the jig along the azimuth provided by his son. Dad heaved, the water frothed and the boy shouted, “You got him, Dad!”

Dad carefully played the fish and I shouted, “Get him in the boat!” The dad gave me a thumbs up as he lipped the three pounder. He turned and posed for pics with the kids as mom captured the priceless moment. This could have been the best Dance like Dad PSA commercial. Way to go, Canoe Dad!

I caught a couple cutie-pies at two different spots in 18 FOW on DS plasma tail and headed in. Another good day at Lake Pflugerville.

The Friday before Labor Day, I slipped in the wet weather,. As I fell, my wedding band snagged and partially degloved my left ring finger. I regretfully cut off the soft 10K ring that I have worn for twelve years. I made an appointment with my doctor and drove over. He sewed in seven stitches and gave me a Tetanus shot. Gonna get one of the OSHA orange silicone wedding bands, for sure, before the wife catches me fishing shirtless at Lady Bird again!

The injured (casting rod) trigger finger made last Sunday’s Bastrop trip a little tricky. I was making very convoluted and grimaced hooksets but still managed, fortunately, to catch all twenty fish that bit. At Pflugerville, the grind of chatterbait chunk and wind was making me seriously consider buying a left-handed casting reel. Switching to the jabroni rig for drop-shotting was a relief. What pain would today bring?

This morning, we launched Todd’s Stratus from the South Shore pre-dawn and ran to the Notch. New moon, north breeze, no clouds, not cold, perfect. Lines in and getting bit right away. I’m feeling frisky and the bass are striking. No issue detecting a bite. These bass are damn near pulling the rods out of our hands.

The bass are removing all the slack and all I have to do is swing. We all love to set the hook, right? I mean Boom! Goes the Dynamite! And what happens? Sometimes, we break a line. Or straighten a hook. Snap a pole. Maybe, strip a gear. Today, I popped a stitch. Good Lord this is fun!

I’ve left the bandage off since getting off work Friday hoping the wound would dry out and crust up. It must be working because by the end of the day I’d ripped out two stitches. Todd said to moisten the thread with alcohol dunked Q-tip, cut and pull.

We caught twenty-two at the Notch. We ran to the intake and blanked. We went to the main lake hydrilla patch and caught sixteen more. Off at noon.
97F441C9-25A3-4A40-98D1-A38D7B8C296C.jpeg 9069307A-57C8-44FE-ACB9-3F0AF7F9D879.jpeg 641E893A-814E-4B3F-B4F8-E741F63E3A73.jpeg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great post. Sorry to hear about your finger. I don't wear my wedding band fishing, afraid I will lose it again. Lost it kayaking years ago.
Always fun to see a kid get excited about catching a good sized bass.

JT

·
Registered
218 Posts
Loved the post Jeremy. I love hearing about kids getting excited about fishing, even if dad was doing the catching this time. Hope your finger gets better. I am sure you would look much better in a maroon OSHA band but that is up to you. :)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that color for sure. The company I work for uses it for our logo. The work trucks were painted maroon, although the fleet manager insisted the color was burgandy.

The only reason I said orange is because I saw MLF Pro Angler Wesley Strader wearing orange on TV. I did not attend UT, so I do like the idea of a maroon band!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Foolish man. Hope your finger gets better my friend. I know it is not easy trying to and work the reel with stitches in your hand. Good thing you are not trying to play golf. I guess you could always switch to a spinning rod for a while since you can always reverse the reel on those.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use right-hand casting reels. This puts my left ring finger pad against the casting rod’s trigger. I utilize the contact between ring finger and rod blank to detect bites as I palm the reel with my left hand.

My temporary modified hook set goes like this:

1. Detect bite.
2. Reel in slack with right hand while left hand moves butt of rod to belly button (or sternum).
3. Move right hand to below first line guide and pull back against fulcrum of my midsection.
4. Play fish to boat.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I love a fisherman with a plan and the ability to adapt. I am definitely going to have to make a trip way out to your neck of the woods to fish sometime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts