Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I found my rods exactly as I’d left them from Sunday’s Stillhouse trip. Since it was 3am, I tuned up the pegged fluke rod with fresh line. At 6am, I launched alongside a young couple who bid me good morning. They blasted off for the mainlake grass while I slow trolled to the favorite cove.

Beautiful morning on a pristine lake. Perfect way to start the weekend. Started getting bit right away on the pegged fluke jr. Bass were following and hitting right at the boat.

At 9am, the last of the new 10 pk of fluke jrs had been utterly shredded by a hungry bass. I took a pic, but my shirt was off. I put my shirt on and headed for the main lake grass. I paused at the mouth of the cove and caught a couple on topwater. Sweet.

I caught up with the young couple and it appeared she was dominating from the back deck. I anchored up a couple cast lengths away. They had been having a fluke fest, the man said. The fish were hitting watermelon, white and gray flukes weightless he told me.

All my fluke juniors were dog meat. I found a bubblegum super fluke in the bottom of my bag. I rigged it weightless on a 4/0 thin wire hook. I cast it out and hit a personal watercraft passenger in the face. What the...

That’s right. Blasting by going 40 mph forty feet from my port gunwhale. My reel backlashed and her arms were flailing, thank God I never got a hook set. The PWC passed between me and a pontoon boat. The pontoon boat and my Prowler were both anchored a cast length apart in 25 FOW. A textbook example of reckless boating. The pontoon operator was as surprised as I was.

I pulled out the backlash and cast the pink fluke into open water. After sinking deadstick it was eaten by a Bastrop skinny slot. So the bass will eat any color fluke.

I switched to drop-shot. I was still in 25 FOW. I was using an Elaztec me too fluke jr clone and it lasted through five good fish. Off at 1pm.
FB54C91F-9CFC-41E1-AE5C-D20AFB6A259B.jpeg 3B8FC198-B6F4-4019-8352-FE188F1F25A0.jpeg 30FFA0B0-0301-4CBF-89FD-7969A177CD6C.jpeg 11ADACD0-725B-40A0-8D41-A990A0021F43.jpeg

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I‘m always lookin for the dummy. Saw him in the mirror at 3am, right before he drove an hour to a 97°F lake to catch and let go little green fish in the broiling hot sun. Here’s a pic of the drop-shot bait.
9985DAAA-2770-4FFA-9BBC-A4D84DF020E2.jpeg

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
you're never a dummy when you go fishing...never!
that bait is endorsed by professionals, so it must be good!
btw,was 2-under after 12 thursday in a money game...then i choked...74 tho! what a game...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a golf score! I’m out in the front yard hitting leaves with a six iron. I need to get on the golf course.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice report Jeremy. Glad you didnt make the hook set but you have to wonder what it takes to get their attention some times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts