Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We knew it was going to be a picture perfect day, so we got on the lake somewhat early at 7:30am. When we pulled into the park, I could see a big canopy set up on the east side of the North Shore boat ramp. When we pulled further in, the parking lot looked completely full. Oh boy, either a kayak tournament, a club tournament, both or more. When we backed down the ramp, boats had filled the courtesy docks and were lined up along the bulkhead, even inside the new buoys. "Why were they still at the ramp and not making their way onto the water?" All of those boats never created a problem of us.

We really couldn't see the edges of the grass lines in early morning light, so I decided to try some frog. I continued to throw that frog for an hour without a single strike. I have had very limited success on Bastrop with this technique and my dry spell continued. We ran over to the dam and fished the limited eel grass spots but didn't catch a thing.

We moved over to an area with the sun at our back and after 2 hours we finally landed our first fish. The bite was slow before noon, so we decided to eat a sandwich over at South Shore. I went to wash my hands and when I got back to the wood table, my Wife slowly pointed at a Roadrunner standing on a wood fence that had come up to within five feet of our table. I creeped into my seat while ole Beep-Beep just looked at us. He stood there for a few minutes while we ate and then decided to sit down on a fence post to rest in the shade. A few minutes later, another Roadrunner came up to join his buddy. They both stayed there for a few minutes more, then walked away to chase bugs. That was a first for us!

We continued to fish our normal pattern, never really finding large numbers of fish in one area but we did end up with 37. More small fish this trip with biggest fish going #3. Beautiful day, again!

·
Registered
66 Posts
My wife and I launched a bit after you and talked to some of those boats that were staged around the ramp. That was a CAST for kids event where they take special needs kids out fishing. It was a bit crowded at the ramp, but they were nice guys and I applaud them for volunteering for that event.

We started out throwing watermelon red soft plastics near the intake and picked up a few. It was kind of slow but steady. Later in the morning we moved over to mid lake cove and fished around the grass beds where picked up several more. We were fishing near one of the CAST boats and their kid was having a blast and caught several nice fish that we saw. It seemed to slow down around lunch, so we anchored up and had our picnic, and them motored around the lake a little bit. We came back to mid lake cove and I started throwing a small square bill crank along the edges of the grass beds and had pretty good action for the next hour. I think I caught 5 and lost at least that many with that crank. This was supposed to be a trip for us to just run the boat since we hadn't had it out in a long while, but it turned out to be a pretty good fishing trip for us.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I saw some of the contestants with their burgundy "Cast for Kids" t-shirts when we were at the ramp. And I too, applaud those people for getting involved in the lives of kids. The strange thing was that I only saw one or two of their boats on the water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts