Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After getting home from Bastrop yesterday, I read in Friday’s Statesman that Bastrop County Judge Paul Pape cancelled the county’s mask directive after Governor Abbot ordered authorities to not enforce said directives. I guess that explains why most park patrons were not masked, even though LCRA has posted a mask rule at the gate.

I dropped in at 7am and headed straight to the starting point. I fished for an hour with no bites. Really? Not even a Senko fish! Nothing I did yesterday was working.

Between Bill’s topwater adventures and me witnessing a nice fish caught on frog yesterday, I’d brought a topwater rod with mono and a padcrasher. I tossed the frog up near the reeds and it got slurped off the surface. I was actually paralyzed with wonder for a moment, then I r’ared back to bring the pain. I felt weight and then my loosened drag spun out and the frog was spit. Doh!

I had backed it off for ”winterizing”. That’s such a stupid thing to do. Remorsefully, I tightened the drag hammer tight. I made another thirty or so cast with the frog and no more strikes.

I’d also grabbed my spinnerbait rod as an afterthought as I closed the garage this morning. Good thing I did. After I holstered the frog rod, I drifted down the choice shoreline making quartering casts with the wire jig. I had some good’uns smoke the Kraken SP1 with Counterstrike blade and chicken foot trailer. Cowabunga! Just like Hook’em said, rolling it through the eel grass.

I thought I‘d try the hump for some drop-shot action. Hopefully the wind would let all 40 pounds of thrust get around the corner. I made it and deployed the anchor between the eel grass and the hydrilla. Nothing like last winter‘s exhilarating catch rates, but I got one or two at most stops. I wound up concentrating on the outside hydrilla edge in 14 FOW. The wind was wearing me down, so I headed for a lee cove and finished out the day catching ‘em on TR GrandeBass and texposed Yamasenkos. Another good day at the ‘Strop.
ED52D65D-2EE1-491A-8E5E-C264BBEFFC6F.jpeg
208056FE-1658-460E-AC27-1B7ED7260C4C.jpeg

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
i never caught one on a frog, lol... apparently i have refined my presentation to throwing only spooks. i dont know how anyone gets em on a frog...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am absolutely a walk-the-dog spook jr. devotee. However, as you know, treble hooks and eel grass do not mix well. Maybe I should try a buzz-bait instead of Kermit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good report. I forgot to mention that I took Bill's lead and tried a spook jr at LBL for 30 min and not even a sniff. I think the LMB's at LBL are not topwater friendly

-JT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts