Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hitting Fayette on Thursday, I decided to fish Bastrop on Friday.

I put in at the North Shore. I though I had "missed the memo" since there were no other trailers parked in the lot when I got there. There were several other boats on the water, but they didn't launch from the North Shore Park. I think I know why now. The docks are well above the water line at the North Shore.

Got started and so many boats were already in many of my usual spots I decided to start at the dam and work my way back to toward the park. The water was stained, temp 73-76 and seems that the lake was much lower than normal (the docks at the park were my first clue).

I noticed that everyone else was fishing up against the bank, which is what I normally do, but they were not having much luck. So, I pulled out to about 6'-7' and cast my watermelon fluke towards the bank into the grass at about 3'-4' and pulled it back VERY slowly. They seemed to hit it when the depth changed. I often could not feel a strike, but it would seem like something just didn't feel right, then I would set the hook. I missed many more than I caught.

Caught 7x in Cedar Cove and then moved to the opposite bank from the North Shore Park around 11:00 when the wind picked up. Caught 4x more before I called it a day around 12:30.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was there yesterday, launched out of the north park and was surprised at the number of boats on the water. There must have been one or two "small club tournaments".

By the way; never mention the water level on Lake Bastrop. This lake is a "constant level" lake so you never have to worry about the water be low. Obviously, some prankster has raised the courtesy docks out of the water 2 or 3 feet. They also went over to the south side of the lake and moved that fishing pier completely out of the water!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts