Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's been another great year and the 2009 season is coming to an end.  Here is the remaining list of confirmed dates for this year's Wed Nighters:

- 9/09/09
- 9/16/09
- 9/23/09
- 9/30/09

We'll be at City Park each week around 5:30 pm, registration and livewell checks start at 6:00 pm.  Please do not launch from City Park as the gates close at 10:00 pm and you will be locked in.

Complete rules can be found here: http://ttz1.com/texas-tournament-zone/ttz-lake-austin-wed-night-tournament/

Results will be available at http://ttz1.com/ or by clicking here:

http://ttz1.com/category/results/

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just a heads up for everybody fishing this tourney, be sure your boat is beached by 10pm!!! I hit the beach last night at 10:01pm their time with 13.51 lbs and was disqualified. Bad part was they said our clock was 2 minutes slow but it matched the GPS time on the Garmin? Learned the hard way and lost $375.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Blue. This year we did have to tighten the 10:00:01 rule do to the incentives and to have consistency.

Since we weigh in on the beach, we use ATT phone time to tell when it is exactly 10.

Considering the tough bite on Austin, that was a good bag.

Eric

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
113F263600383636273621530 said:
Just a heads up for everybody fishing this tourney, be sure your boat is beached by 10pm!!! I hit the beach last night at 10:01pm their time with 13.51 lbs and was disqualified. Bad part was they said our clock was 2 minutes slow but it matched the GPS time on the Garmin? Learned the hard way and lost $375.
Dude that sucks, ONE min late :eek:

Sorry to hear that, I hope you make it on time next time......

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
We have posted almost everytime since we had to to tighten that rule.

At 10:00:01 the keel of the boat must be in sand.

Between 25 - 30 boats put a good amount of money on the line and we have to make it fair for everyone.

Here is just a sample of a few of my previous posts.

Eric

Andy and I plan to be at the CP beach around 5:30 or so. We will begin sign up and live well checks at 6p - a double barrel 12 gauge start at 6:30p sharp- weigh in at 10:00:01 pm. ( be sure to be on time to weigh in order not to receive a 35 lbs penalty )

We will beach up at CP around 5:30p - Registration and livewell checks at 6p - a machine gun start will happen at 6:30p sharp.

If you have fish to weigh, be sure to be on the beach before 10:00:01.

We will be on the beach at CP around 5:30p - check in and live well checks will start at 6p - a semi automatic shotgun start will happen at 6:30 sharp.

Weigh in is at 10:00:01 Please be on the beach early, at the mentioned time we will not let you weigh in if you are not on the beach.

We beach up around 5:30, register and live well check at 6:00, semi-automatic shot gun start at 6:30 on the dot.

Be sure to be on the beach at 9:55, we cannot weigh you fish if you are not on time. 10:00.01 is the cut of to be beached.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Whether someone is one minute late or 15 minutes late......late is late!!In short, rules or rules guys!!  We all want to get "one more cast", but be darn sure you're at weigh in by 9:55pm at the latest, especially if you're holding 13+ lbs in the livewell. It we stretch the rules for one, we'll have to stretch them for everyone......imo.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Adherence to the rules is a choice we all make when fishing for money. If it hadn't been dealt with the way that it was, I wouldn't fish the Wed. nighter again and I might not have been the only one. Thanks to Andy & Brian for doing what a director should in fairness to all of us.
Cutting it that close is a lesson that only takes once. An unnecessary risk especially knowing it only took 8 + lbs last week to win, JMO.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
It sucks, lesson learned and now we all know what clock setting we are on. My partners phone is 8mins off from what my verizon phone says.

So what won it anyway? I'll have to look at ttz1.com.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I've never heard of any tournaments completely DQing someone for coming in just a minute late? There most definitely should be a late penalty (typically a pound a minute), but to get completely DQed for being a minute late sounds pretty severe. I guess each tournament has it's different rules though, so you need to know what they are and abide by them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
A late penality would just make it a longer night. You still have to have a drop dead time. And some joker would be one minute late for that. It never ends. This is a simple tournament, I say keep it that way. As far as I can tell there are only 2 rules that get people into trouble. No dead, and 10:00pm. If you have some nice fish, the smart thing to do is give yourself 5 or ten minutes. I will say this, that was a NICE bunch of fish. You may not have a check, but you still kicked our butts. Congrats on that.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I talked to my partner Chris last night, and we have both agreed to compete in next week’s tournament.

There was defiantly a huge misunderstanding or communication issue the other day. But one thing is for sure, Chris and I did hear someone tell us that we were a minute late as we were beaching the boat. So with that said, rules are rules, and we will be sure to get back to the weigh in area way before 10:00.  Here again, if when I had stopped under the 360 bridge to clean off my glasses so I could see, I should have looked to see if I had my Save Phace mask in the boat so I could have run back to the weigh in under full power. Should a, could a, would a.

I have got a suggestion though. Perhaps it would be a good idea if the tournament director who is keeping the time would announce to everyone standing around the scales when the time of the tournament has expired.

See you all on Wednesday.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We've decided to extend the Wed Night season all the way through September.  Future dates have been updated, thanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That hatch was awesome last night. Wish we could've stayed out, but got a call from Momma and the baby was throwing up everywhere. Those little rascals sure are a joy, but the vomiting is no fun for parents. Oh well, we'll see you back out there next Wednesday.

Cary

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah it was, at one point we rolled up to a tree and there must have been thousands of those suckers flying around in a ball. I bet the perch fishing is on fire right now in the shallows.

One down, three more to go!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
434F4F54494E41544F52200 said:
A late penality would just make it a longer night. You still have to have a drop dead time. And some joker would be one minute late for that. It never ends.
I'm not sure what you mean by that exactly. Are you saying that if there was a late penalty people wouldn't be as concerned about making it back on time? That doesn't really make sense to me. Believe me, at a pound a minute, that can certainly make the difference with getting into the money or not. Just trying to figure out what you're getting at?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm going to suffer from Wednesday night withdrawal and will still just have to go out there anyways. Sure would like to see some type of Fall Lake Austin casual tournys like these ones started up. Thanks for all you guys have done this year. Been a slow year for LA, but it's been alot of fun.

·
Registered
428 Posts
All I am saying is changing the rules isn't going to change people wanting them to be bent when they are on the wrong side of them. I love the simplicity of what the TTZ boys have going. That's all.

I fished Champs at Choke last week. Life jackets, 25 yards, 50 yards, lie detectors, and 275 people wasn't simple.
I see the TTZ guys consistently making the tough calls that keep this little tournament fun, and fair.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys for showing up each and every week, it's been tough for sure on Austin this year but that just makes catching those pesky little 2 and 3 lbers more exciting!

Alan and Charlie were the originators of this tournament and they are the guys that paved the way to the Wed Nighters, if there's anyone to thank it's definitely them. I can remember when it was 6-7 boats every week with a few simple rules and a hand held scale for weigh in.  When we took over the tournament in 2007 we tried to keep the fun and friendly atmosphere while accommodating its growth.  The tourney is constantly evolving, if there is ever an issue rest assured we will review and adjust as required to keep it fun while being fair.

Our goal with these tournies is to bring anglers of all aspects out to an event where everyone knows each other's names and is willing to share info.  I probably enjoy meeting everyone during check in, catching up and trading stories as much as the fishing itself. 

I too am sad to see the '09 season come to an end, but with the daylight becoming more and more scarce it just makes sense to wind them down.  We did host some Sat morning tournies in '07 and drew upwards of 20 boats, we may bring them back this year depending on interest and schedules.

Also, the more I get to fish the more I realize South Texas is where it's at!  We are definitely lucky to have Austin in our backyards, but are looking to extend our presence down to Choke, Falcon and Amistad.  I used to dread making the trip down to Choke due to lack of acceptable lodging, but with Choke Canyon Lodge now in place that little lake is going to see a lot more of TTZ...stay tuned cause things might get a little crazy next year!  

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
BC...
Ah, ok, I see what you're saying now. Very true. It's just kind of human nature though. I've found myself on the wrong side of the rules a couple of times (never intentionally...just out of pure ignorance), and each time I always found myself hoping inside that the tournament officials would let it slide. Ha, but I've never been so fortunate...but that's how it should be. It sucks when you find out you've accidentally screwed up, but that's just how it goes and the rules are the rules no matter what they may be. I think 95% of the time when a rule is broken, they are broken completely without knowing or just an accident. Like most of the time when someone is late to weigh-in it's due to boat problems or something unexpected. Anyways, yeah, whatever the rules may be, they must and should be enforced.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts