Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished with (Gene) this Sunday early morning. Launched his 10 1/2 foot Pelican boat with trolling motor at Quinlian park ramp. Fished shorelines with grass and boat docks till 11:30am. Saw several ABFer's on the water.

Gene did not have a fish ruler long enough for the actual lenghts. We used a Tape measure and tried to get close. We rounded to the nearest number.

I caught a (23")7.41lb bass, based on the TPWD length to weight sheet (Thought that was a little light weight, IMO..on topwater. Also caught a  (22") 6.40lb bass, again based on the TPWD weight sheet. Also got a hold of a couple 5lbers and a 2 and a half pounder. Most fish were caught on swimbaits, fished slowly.

Due to the pictures showing specific locations, I am not posting pics until I can "BLACK OUT" the background...

Good day on the water with GENE...Look forward to going again in the evening, to see if this pattern is the same.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/catchrelease/bass_length_weight.phtml

Robert

·
Registered
480 Posts
Re: Lake Austin -Sunday AM - Updated

I know exactly where that was taken by the background that is left just by your neck!

Now correct me if i am wrong but didn't both you use to make living with photography???

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I've sent an email to Calvin to send us the photos that he took of Roberts fish from his kayak. We had a good time even though Robert's fish was bigger than my personal best on Lake Austin. We had a blast and fished for right at 6 hours. I only caught a couple of small bass. Robert could catch fish in a bathtub I think. I have fished with him for about a year now and am amazed when no else is catching, he puts us on the fish.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Saw you guys at the ramp this morning. We caught a few fish, spent most of our time exploring up further North. No 6 or 7 #ers, but had a good time. Nice to meet both Robert and Gene, and whoever the kayaker who was towing the boat was :eek: (sorry, didn't catch your name). Saw a lot of used beds further North, but nothing that still had fish on them.

Lunk

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Nice fish and Nice metting you guys this morning. I didn't fair as well, I caught four, largest going 3.5. Caught my two largest on swimbaits and two smaller on WW. Nice morning out there.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Nice fish, must have been a blast catching on top water. I was going to hit LA in the 'yak this morning but decided to wait till the middle of the week. That cool water up there sure is nice in this heat. ;D

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
The other guy was Cal Story in the kayak. He caught a nice one...I think it was a 2-3 lber. Nice to meet you guys this morning. It was sure nice until around 10AM. Cool and not many boats, no wind, and caught fish. It doesn't get any better than that.

Gene

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lures used...

Xcalibur Zell Popper in "Bone Chart"  topwater lure of choice. Pop three times then stop till rings get out about 2 feet. Then repeat. Throw to bank and work back towards boat. HANG ON. The big fish just "Suck" it down with out a too large of a hit..(Also a deadly bait for Bastrop. Last fall, caught over 35 bass, over 4lbs!, in less than two hours fishing the APD bass tournament)-----Thanks to JD or Tony for letting me know about this lure)
http://www.xcaliburtackle.com/zell.asp

Lake Fork, 4.5",  White Live Magic Shad in Pearl White with 1/4oz jig head. Fish very slowly over grass or edges of grass. Did I say slow! Most fish hit on the initial fall.

http://www.lftlures.com/catalog/d2daea31-4430-40b0-aabc-e0ae4b256b32.aspx

ENJOY....Now it is time to catch big bass!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why would you conceal where you caught those fish? A few weeks ago my brother landed his personal bestt 6.2 lb'er and we were glad to disclose the location as best we could so that the rest of you could go and try to find that beauty and put it at the end of your line.

I guess I just have never understood "secret spot" for anyone other than maybe the pro's who it can mean putting food on the table or not. The guy who just won the FLW in Tennessee today said that he had racked up his credit cards trying to provide for his family and was elated that he had finally won 100k! This guy I can understand concealing spots but me...I just dont get it.

It would be awesome for me to know where to look for these fish you caught and then the challenge to land it just like you did.

I dont mean any disrespect.
Shamgar

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a Wednesday night bass tournament that happens every other week. I felt like this area will be loaded with boats stacked on top of one another, since I caught a near 28lb stringer....

I normally have no problem telling what/how/where/when I catch my fish on Lake Travis....It is just a personal thing, I guess...

I rarely see specific locations/techniques of bass fisherman catches on Lake Austin. It is a hard lake to figure out.  

Most LA fisherman know the general location of the fish caught. The hard part is getting a consistant pattern on Lake Austin... ;D ;D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ranger_R77 said:
I rarely see specific locations/techniques of bass fisherman catches on Lake Austin.

Yeah I agree, this is what I dont get ???

I fish for the thrill, I havent been able to tournament fish and maybe if I did it would be different. Maybe someday I can make it out to a Wednesday nighter.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
shamgar said:
Yeah I agree, this is what I dont get ???

I fish for the thrill, I havent been able to tournament fish and maybe if I did it would be different.
You have the answer to your own question.  You don't fish tournaments and yes the social aspect of it is very different from just fun fishing.  Tournaments are a form of competition.  No different from any other competive event of any form at any level.   Simply put, you won't be able to compete effectively if you tell the world your precise information with exacting details.  That can help the competition beat you or result in a 'spot' being pressured by non-competitors .  It doesn't matter if your fishing for $40 dollars at a Wednesday nighter, $250 dollars at Bass Champs, or $1500 at FLW.  The blue collar working class tournament anglers who works their but off at his job to pay for thier 'competitive' fishing habits are no different from the pros who depends on winning to feed his family.  Both have money invested and they are going to protect that investment by protecting the information they've spent time and resources in finding.  

There's no right or wrong to it.  It's just one of those things.  As you put more time on the water, leverage your own experiences, and study bassfishing more you'll become a better angler and find a refreshing lack of dependence on fishing reports and 'dock talk'.

With all that being said. There's tons of good "General" information on here that can and will help you catch fish. Well, I know the alot of the non-specific information on here has helped me plenty of times. I just had to put in some time and apply some of my studies and fishing knowledge to put it together.

Good luck in your fishing endeavors and continued learning in the sport of bassfishing.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am a little cautious, because the last time I gave up a specific location to fish, I returned to that remote location on LT to find about 20 boats sitting on the specific spot that took me hours to find. So, I guess I am a little weird! OR LIKE MOST SAY...VERY WEIRD! ;D ;D

Like I said before, I always give reports with detail. It is up to the fisherman to find and catch. I provide 95% on how I did it...I always like the challenge to find them.. :)

It is a river, and they probably move up and down the river....But I like to think, not... ;D

G

·
I pretty much ONLY fished Lake Austin from last July till the end of 07 'at least 4 to 6 times a week'.  I don't think my boat touched another body of water till late December.  I can tell you that I had holes out there that would produce fish for me on every trip for a couple of weeks.  Then nada!  And to this day a couple of spots that held my best fish out there I haven't caught a fish out of since late last year!  One thing I have started to put together out there is that the fish do move back to those spots at the same time of year.   ;D  Good notes and a good memory will help out alot!  

Nice looking fish Robert!!  Glad to see you got on some quality fish out there!!  Now your hooked!   ;)

-Chad

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Thanks again Robert for your excellent reports and the generous information you provide. Your posts are consistently the best and most helpful on this site, IMO. Blacking out the background in a photo is no big deal to me. There are big bass all over LA, just get out there and find them. If you use Robert's tips and techniques it will definitely improve your success. ;D

John

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.