Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It will please many to know we will no longer be building a large amount of much-needed habitat for the fish on lake Austin.

With every entity involved not wanting to help the local wildlife despite their organizations name, I am foregoing the project and having a moment of silence for the lake that once was great, and apparently never will be again.
I will be meeting with the city of Austin and tpwd and any other govt group that will listen .
Until then, have fun with the last of the double digit bass Austin will see for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure about the legality of dropping brush when it is not sanctioned by some sort of government agency (aka: TPWD). Also, Christmas trees don't really make the best brush piles. They only seem to last a year or two... not sure that it's worth the time and energy.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please contact me if you have an abundance of 5 gallon buckets and would like to get rid of them. The concrete and rebar are already being supplied by Ben Z. The buckets are the only thing that will limit the amount of brush we can sink.
I am getting at least 30 buckets myself but that only does 15 brushpiles. Which is 120 trees. That sounds like a lot but it really isn't.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure about the legality of dropping brush when it is not sanctioned by some sort of government agency (aka: TPWD). Also, Christmas trees don't really make the best brush piles. They only seem to last a year or two... not sure that it's worth the time and energy.
This is spot on...

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am aware, and I am attempting to get tpwd on board. As far as these piles holding up, I have made some in the past that are still holding up and producing and they have been submerged for 3 years.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just spoke to lcra and we are good to go. The representative I spoke with said no tinsel on the trees and they need adequate anchor weight.
We have that in spades.
If any problems surface he will call me early next week to let me know.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be clear, I don't need help. I could do it by myself as I did in the past years. I already have my dad and my friend Ben involved so we will have at least 3 boats dropping the brush. If no other boats come out, we have it handled. I am simply offering to allow anglers to sweeten their favorite hole. No strings attached. I don't care where the brush goes, as long as it creates habitat for the fish.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I can vouche for the spots still holding fish. Jarrod showed them to me back in the day. They do hold fish. Granted, I've never pulled anything over 3lb from them, but they do produce numbers. :pleasuremachine:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I am aware, and I am attempting to get tpwd on board. As far as these piles holding up, I have made some in the past that are still holding up and producing and they have been submerged for 3 years.
I've done X-mas trees and they will go longer than 5 years. Even then, when most of the tines are gone the "skeleton" of the tree will still be there and makes for some killer crappie fishing.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just went and got 70 buckets to fill with concrete. We are good to go. They will all be filled by Christmas. Everything is taken care of.

Reactions: rexmitchell

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hypothetically, the best thing to do would be what you are doing but without any publicity. Not just anglers that read the forum.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point Brandon. There will be more brush piles built this winter than this one day's worth. This is just a big operation so I decided to post it out here just in case anyone would like to participate.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hypothetically, the best thing to do would be what you are doing but without any publicity. Not just anglers that read the forum.
Or just drop as many BP's as possible in front of FOLA leadership's home, then post the coordinates on every fishing website known to man......

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some guys would like to have a brushpile on their favorite spot but may lack the ability to get everything put together for a reef this size. I can sweeten my spots but that will only affect a small portion of the lake. I want others to take some to their favorite spots as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The LCRA is not the folks you need to be calling. The City Of Austin controls any construction or modification to the lake, permanent or temporary. They have an entire dept full of code inspectors that do nothing else. Anything plastic or concrete is going to get them REALLY pissed. I could not even sheath my dock pilings in plastic.

·
Registered
766 Posts
All the brush piles that have been advertised in the past what were they sunk with just curious because I remember a post awhile back about brush piles on Austin after all the grass was gone and who allowed this to happen?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts