Bass Fishing Forum banner

Lake Austin 5/21/10

2K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  fisher1 
#1 ·
Time: 7:45-9:45 AM
Weather: Party Cloudy with a slight breeze
Area Fishing: Mid Lake across from City Park
Lure of Choice: Watermelon Red and Black Senkos

Well I got another free morning to go fishing for the 2nd time this year and boy was I rewarded. I caught this girl underneath a dock around 8:30. I did not have a scale but I was able to measure it. It's length was 25 inches long but I also may have measured wrong as I was pretty shakey after landing her and I didnt want to keep her out of the water to long. All I know is this is the largest bass I have ever caught in my life. To put the bass in perspective I am 6'3 and a lean 230 pounds. Great 2 hours on the water at Lake Austin this morning.

BTW she was fine and swam off after I released her back into the water.

See less See more
#2 ·
WTG....Nice Bass...

Weight?

Go to this site and get an estimate:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/catchrelease/bass_length_weight.phtml

or

How can I estimate the weight of a fish that was caught and released?

You will need to have the length and girth of the fish to calculate an estimate. This formula works for all fish, although the example is for largemouth bass. To get weight in pounds, square the girth in inches (girth multiplied by itself) then multiply this times the length in inches. Divide this product by 800.

For example, we can use one of the recent ShareLunker bass. The girth was 20.25 inches and the length was 26 inches. First, take 20.25 x 20.25 to get 410.06. Multiply this times 26 to get 10,661.6. Divide this by 800 to get 13.33 pounds.

#18 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the kind words. I am still pumped about it and I am ready to get back out there agian.

I did forget to mention that we saw some really strange behavior from some very large bass along those bluff walls right agianst shore. Probably for about 20 minutes straight in 5 different areas their were large bass chasing something in the water. They were attacking like how you see killer whales attack sea lions on the beach. They were behind branches and almost impossible to get a cast to where it was all happening. But I know for a fact they were bass and not carp or catfish. It was actually cool to watch it.

#21 ·
4D5C41584A4D584B515C5C550A0C390 said:
Hey Thanks Robert. Just was using some of your knowledge that you spread around on this site.

I am from North Carolina. I actually grew up in Chapel Hill but ended up going to college down around Charlotte. Thanks for asking.
Ah nice. I went to HS in Wayne County down in Goldsboro. Then went to Boone to play ball at App State for a couple years. Just curious bc most NC natives stay there.

Maybe I will see ya out on the lake some time.

Cheers,

~BE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.