Bass Fishing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nice fish!! I have to admit I get angry when I see people with minnows keeping blacks to eat! Even if its not trophy fish! But its only my opinion! Thanks for the pic of the hog!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Beautiful fish, that thing is HUGE! Congratulations!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great Fish! Wish she was put back. You can get an "AMAZING" replica from Lake Fork Taxidermy. You just need length, girth, picture, and weight. When you do not have a measuring tape, use fishing line and measure the two different pieces when you get home. Hell, your either so jazzed after catching it that you tremble for fifteen minutes before throwing your line in again, begin casting furiously thinking there is another one just as big in the same spot, or go home . Only takes 1 minute or less to tie on again. You can't justify food as a reason for keeping the fish if you are going to get a mount. I understand everyone has a choice, just throwing a little something to be thaught about.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Congrats on the beautiful fish man. Once in a lifetime catch for sure!

Don't know what the big deal about keeping that fish is. You tourney fishermen know that many times you've weighed in a live fish that you knew would not live long after release. One study I read suggests that just under half of all bass weighed at tourneys don't live 24hrs after release, so there's a good chance that fish would have died anyway after much handling and 20 pics. I guess bass don't love driving around the lake in a little box at 60mph getting beat to hell for 5 or 6 hours. Huh go figure....

Just cause they swim away doesn't mean they're not stressed and completely unharmed.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Again, I REITERATE... put the big ones back, guys.

There was a 15+ fish from Ivie that was a sharealunker last year. It was recaught this year.

Same thing with the 16+ fish from Caddo that was entered last year. It was recaught this year.

There have been a few other SALs that were recaught.

There aren't very many of those true giants swimming around. As the amount of fishing pressure continues to increase on our local waters every year... every big fish put back really helps, especially from small waters such as Austin. I know it's close to 20 miles long, but really, it's only 1,200 acres in all.

Regardless...I think if you have a true appreciation for the sport of bass fishing, you'd do everything you can to help those big fish live. It takes quite a while for a toad to reach trophy proportions... and sadly... very little time to make sure she never gets any bigger... :( :( :(

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Regardless...I think if you have a true appreciation for the sport of bass fishing, you'd do everything you can to help those big fish live. It takes quite a while for a toad to reach trophy proportions... and sadly... very little time to make sure she never gets any bigger... :( :( :(
I guess if a person is truly conservation minded and really cared about healthy fish population in our area lakes then catch and immediate release would be the best practice, assuming that one believes that putting a nice keeper bass in a 20gal livewell for a number of hours, running around the lake, transferring the fish to several bags for weigh in, taking a few pics, kissing the fish then releasing the poor SOB to "healthily swim away" probably puts undue stress on the creature, possibly causing death. If you believe that type of treatment has no effect on the fish then, buy all means take the high road and jump on a dude for keeping your future torture subject. At least he didn't toss it back out for video....

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I guess if a person is truly conservation minded and really cared about healthy fish population in our area lakes then catch and immediate release would be the best practice, assuming that one believes that putting a nice keeper bass in a 20gal livewell for a number of hours, running around the lake, transferring the fish to several bags for weigh in, taking a few pics, kissing the fish then releasing the poor SOB to "healthily swim away" probably puts undue stress on the creature, possibly causing death. If you believe that type of treatment has no effect on the fish then, buy all means take the high road and jump on a dude for keeping your future torture subject. At least he didn't toss it back out for video....
Haha, oh Dez, truthfully, I'm a little confused about your position on this issue... I recall you telling me that that infamous guy who caught and recaught those 4 10 pounders should be shot... and now you've got such a lackadaisical stance on this current topic... hmmm....

Haha... IF you can... LET them go... circumstances will differ in each situation and I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I'm just trying to influence this train of thought so that each person, when he/she catches a trophy fish WILL CONSCIOUSLY think about what he/she's going to do with that fish and really understand the possible ramifications of his/her actions.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Dorian I never said JR should be shot, his Captains and fishing liscense revoked and never allowed to fish a tourney again maybe but not shot. Big difference here, this guy honestly caught that fish and he's within his right to keep her. I would not have myself, but I also don't make a habit of keeping anything I don't plan on eating. I have no issue with the tourney guy driving his fish around either, if it wasn't for tourneys the TPWD would have a lot less capitol to work with. I do believe some populations are dwindleing because of pressure, I see the difference in the last 20years of fishing the chain. Some of that is tourney related, some because of meat fishing. I just hope that folks realize that any prolonged contact with these fish is not especially good for them, so CPR if at all possible, lunker or not.. All of these fish large or small should be handled with care, my kids would like to fish when they get grow up too.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Some guys on here are getting a little butt hurt that this fish was kept..Seriously guys, relax..You ALL will have your chance. With your glitter boats and your 100 bucks to spend on lures every time you go to academy I am sure you guys can manage a big one every now and then. The man caught a good fish..Good for him. Congratulate him, learn a little from the report and leave it at that. Tournament fishing kills MANY more fish than 1 man keeping a trophy every now and then. I agree with DEZ on this. Nice fish man! BTW, keeping a big one every now and then isnt going to hurt your chances of a DD. You all have trucks and big boats. GO TO FALCON!

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Some guys on here are getting a little butt hurt that this fish was kept..Seriously guys, relax..You ALL will have your chance. With your glitter boats and your 100 bucks to spend on lures every time you go to academy I am sure you guys can manage a big one every now and then. The man caught a good fish..Good for him. Congratulate him, learn a little from the report and leave it at that. Tournament fishing kills MANY more fish than 1 man keeping a trophy every now and then. I agree with DEZ on this. Nice fish man! BTW, keeping a big one every now and then isnt going to hurt your chances of a DD. You all have trucks and big boats. GO TO FALCON!
I think everyone congratulated him, I think it is an awesome catch. I just don't agree with him keeping the fish, which is my right. If you post something on a public forum, you can expect people to ask questions, and post their opinions on the answers given. Am I a little bothered that someone shows up to LA for the first time, catches a DD and then takes her out of the lake? Yes I am, but I am not going to lose sleep over it. I do know there are a lot of toads in the lake, but if everyone's opinion was the opposite of mine, and they felt they can/should mount the ones they catch, then you think we would be talking about LA as an incredible fishery in a couple years? Hell no. I would like to preserve LA for the future, I plan on fishing it regularly for the rest of my life, and I have a lot of friends here that plan on doing the same.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I agree with you too CHITOWN..I just know I would hate to take a lot of heat over a really nice fish. But yes, it is a public forum so everyone is entitled to their own opinion. To each his own. I know I will be in my little kayak this evening on Bastrop so if anyone's around come say hi.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts