Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed there hasn't been many Austin reports lately, so figured I'd make one.  I'm usually too lazy to, but here we go.  Before today, I still haven't had much of a chance to fish this place very often.  Since moving here back in October, I've still only had a handful of chances to fish it.  The last several times I've fished it haven't really counted because my boat was having issues, so I could only use the trolling motor.  I was finally able to get serious today though...

Weather:  It was a beautiful day to be on the water.  Sunny skies, a very slight breeze, and it didn't get too hot!  Well, at least while I was still out there.  Got off the water at about noon, and I think by then it may have warmed up to not quite 80.  

Water Conditions: Water temps were 68-70...not sure if that is up or down from where it has been lately at Austin.  I just know at Travis the water temps have been reaching close to 80, so I was shocked to see water still in the 60s.  Clarity was anywhere from 2-4ft.

The Report:
 Overall it was a decent day.  The bite was a bit slow, but I still caught my 5 for about 17-18lbs (All five were from 3-5lbs).  Caught my first three by throwing what I believe is some kind of Bagely Popper.  It's slightly larger than an average Pop-R.  Then I caught my last two by flipping a jig.  The biggest one, the 5lber, came skipping the jig way up under a dock.  All fish were caught in what I would consider to be post-spawn positions (docks and reed points at the mouths of spawning locations).  

Here's the first one I caught. This was 3-15.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Thanks for the report Ander. The temps on Austin are usually a a good bit cooler than Travis, especially the further up river you go, because the water in Lake Austin comes out of the *bottom* of Lake Travis, which is a lot cooler than the surface temps of lake Travis :) Sounds like a pretty good day.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha, that makes sense. Thanks for clarification on that, Dan. I hadn't even thought about that. Travis water temps apparently gave me false hope of what the bite might be like at Austin. With water near the 80s at Travis, I was expecting Austin to be even warmer...since it's shallower and a little more stained. I was expecting to be able to get a good frog bite around some weeds today! Guess not, the water from the bottom of Travis thing makes sense. Threw the frog in some more open areas today though and only had one little guy blow up on it. The popper was definitely the way to go this morning.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Even with the cooler water temps the frog bite turns on pretty good on Austin at times. (Donkey!!??!?!) They skip up under docks pretty good too (hint hint). Nothing quite like skipping a frog so far back under a dock you cant see it, but then you just hear the bite as the fish explodes under the dock. Lots of fun :)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh believe me, I am well familiar with skipping frogs back into the darkest of places. I did that a lot on the Delta in CA, and while it is pretty heart-pumping to have a fish blow-up on a frog back in there...it is just a little different than fishing the frogs on the weedmats. I just haven't gotten on a good frog/weedmat bite in probably 7-8 years! I'm dying to get on that bite again. All of my frog fish since then have come either on the dock thing, reeds, overhanging trees, or just straight up open water. I learned quite a few frog tricks in CA from some pretty well known "frog guys." :cool: I just REALLY want to fish some weedmats. haha. Not only can I catch fish drop-shotting, but I can catch them on frogs...AND I can even catch them doing both at the same time!

And oh...I caught my first frog fish this year back during the second week of February on Austin.

It definitely seems like everyone around here is all about their swamp donkeys. I think you guys may have a hard time converting me to the swamp donkey. All of my tricks only work with the Snagproof Tournament Frogs. I may give the swamp donkey a go this year though. We'll see...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sounds like a fun day SB. I also got on a good frog bite in the first few weeks of February on Austin but not as good since. hmm. I personally prefer the Stanley Ribbit frogs but have thrown just about everything and some situations call for certain frogs I think. I also just started throwing a Rana Toro by El Grande Lures. Nice big presentation. ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
7D5A5C474D5A42576C4754405B5D5D2E0 said:
Oh believe me, I am well familiar with skipping frogs back into the darkest of places.  I did that a lot on the Delta in CA, and while it is pretty heart-pumping to have a fish blow-up on a frog back in there...it is just a little different than fishing the frogs on the weedmats.  I just haven't gotten on a good frog/weedmat bite in probably 7-8 years!  I'm dying to get on that bite again.  All of my frog fish since then have come either on the dock thing, reeds, overhanging trees, or just straight up open water.  I learned quite a few frog tricks in CA from some pretty well known "frog guys."   :cool:  I just REALLY want to fish some weedmats.  haha.
Good to see another angler here familiar with the frog bite on the Delta (and Clear Lake)! I have a spinning rod that I use strictly for skipping frogs or senkos under trees and docks.

Not only can I catch fish drop-shotting, but I can catch them on frogs...AND I can even catch them doing both at the same time!
Yeah, but can ya catch 'em drop shotting a hula popper?!  ;D

And oh...I caught my first frog fish this year back during the second week of February on Austin.

It definitely seems like everyone around here is all about their swamp donkeys.  I think you guys may have a hard time converting me to the swamp donkey.  All of my tricks only work with the Snagproof Tournament Frogs.  I may give the swamp donkey a go this year though.  We'll see...
I'm with you here. I like the Snagproof frogs too. The swamp donkey looks interesting though. I thought it'd be good as a trailer for a 1 oz jig!  :D

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, Fishmonger, it is very apparent that you and I are from the same neck of the woods. Our minds seem to think very similarly. Looks like you know about "The Frig" (Frog x Jig). While I have put almost everything you can imagine on a drop-shot rig, I can't say that I've done the Hula Popper. One day it may cross my mind though as I'm looking at a huge bass sitting on a bed and I've tried throwing everything I can imagine. My mind starts thinkin' up some pretty wacky stuff when it comes to big bed fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.