Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new work schedule and, being lucky enough to have a job working from home, I got off at 5 and headed out in the kayak for some great weather fishing near my dock.

Paddled about 1/4 mile upriver towards Mansfield dam where there are some docks that look fishy - threw a topwater and second cast - WA-GOOOOSH!

She sucked it down and pulled me into the dock pilings. I ended up having to break my leader and wipe away the tears... I lost the lure and the big girl, needless to say, and I only have 5 of these lures left - I can't find them online and YoZuri stopped making them a few years ago, though I don't know why because it's the best topwater I've ever used in calm water... fresh or salt...

After recovering, I moved a littler further upriver and got 2 bass that were 5 and 4 pounders, respectively, on the same type/color lure and a multiple hit-and-miss. It was getting too dark to see around 6:20, so I paddled back. All fish released. I don't take the camera on the kayak, as I've made the mistake of dropping one in the water before.

Bottom line - lost the big mama, but got 2 of her smaller, but respectable sisters - all on topwater walkin' the dog.

I wish YoZuri would put these lures back into production. I've lost several to big redfish and jack cravelle in Pensacola, FL... Once they're gone, I don't know what I'm going to do!

They are out there friends! Go get some!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like you will be excercising the skills I learned on "Hunting the big Fish" (I think that's the name w/ Larry Dahlburg on Versus). He was making a mold and reproducing a lure, similar to your story. It looked like a hell of a lot of fun!! Apparrently a lot of products out there for this.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Thanks for the report JonT. You can't get em all. Sorry you lost that lure. If it wasn't wrapped around the dock I have had fish loose the lure in a little while and have stayed in the area or gone back and found them. Of course this only works for the floaters.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did inspect all around the dock on the way back past it, but no luck retrieving the lure. I did notice, however, that the docks the fish were on had a similar pattern - the very end of the docks were probably in 10-12' of water where the center of the docks were in about 4-5'.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I think Yo Zuri is an often over looked lure manufacturer. They make some quality baits at a very reasonable price. I've been using the Banana Boat for some time now and have caught a ton of fish on it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good report I may have to try it this weekend.

I hate it when I lose a favorite lure not matter what type it is. PM me or post a picture or of it or one like it. I hit alot of flea markets and have a friend that is a garage sale freak. If I come across a couple I'll sent one and keep one. :)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Great report JonT. Sorry you lost the big girl but there will be others and you still had a pretty good day out there.

John

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was using 14# - that girl wrapped me up, so I had no choice but to just crank down my drag and snap the line myself.

Thanks for the pointer, people - I'll check 'em out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.