Bass Fishing Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I think it is bad that we even have to have this conversation. But the reality of it is that there are bad people in this world that have no fear of hurting another person or even theirselves being killed in the process.

I'm just glad that I'm out of Southern California. In the last couple of months we were there I got a call from my wife. She was working on the computer and heard smashing glass. Peeked out the window and saw a guy looking around and then climbing into the window next door. Keep in mind the houses in Cali that were built back in the 20's are 3 foot from each other. She called the police but they didn't get there fast enough to catch the guy. I talked to the cop and he told me to get her into a gun training class and get a gun. But not just any gun. He told me to get a .45 and not anything less. He said that a 9mm will not stop someone who is tweaked out on meth. He also told me that in California they have to be not only inside your home but have some form of a weapon.

Anyways, when it comes down to having anxiety about going fishing before daylight or after sunset that just sucks.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
This post certainly took a turn, with lots of input on the CHL, shooting people, etc. I would not recommend a 9MM, but everyone on this thread will have different taste. I shoot mainly revolvers, but a .45 is great weapon and probably what I should carry. However, a 357,41, or 44mag is usually my companion of chose. Probably 38/357 for the spouse.

Again, as mentioned it is unfortunate that we have to have these conversations and misfortunate incidents that go with the enjoyment of our fishing and this forum. In addition, that we have to leave our vehicles and be worried about theft, etc. But the world flat out sucks sometime and it is only going to get worse.

On a positive note... Is anyone fishing Austin this week... Say Friday? Should we start a new thread.

Cheers,
SM

·
Registered
933 Posts
Ranger188 said:
About the concealed handgun permit.  I had a friend that got one through the mail for the state of Florida and he told me that it's much quicker and easier than the state of Texas.  He said that the state of Texas will honor other states permits.  That might be a quick solution.  My Pop's got me a Kimber .45 as a present while I was still living in California for protection.  What a pain in the ars that was to even have him give me the gun.  California has got to be the most strictest on gun laws.  Another reason why I'm glad to be in the Great State of Texas  ;D
Here are the States that have reciprocity with Texas;
http://www.txchia.org/recip.htm

·
Registered
153 Posts
Todd Alan Broom saw a man gun down his girlfriend in a Dallas mall parking lot. The perp. then hopped in his car and started to flee , Mr. Broom pulled his 44 magnum and shot through the perp's car door killing him. Then left the scene. The next day he turned himself in to police. The District Attorney planned to prosecute Mr. Broom and he submitted all evidence to a Grand Jury fully expecting him to be tried for murder, the public hue and cry was so loud in defense of Mr. Broom's actions that the grand jury never indicted him.Strangely enough I went to elementary school with Todd then Junior High before he moved to Dallas from Shreveport La. seemed like a nice guy , once he threw a golfball through our front window by accident. His mother used to tell us that if we killed a lizard in her garden she would make us eat it "YUCK" Oh back to the subject at hand anyway Todd shot this Wacko in Dallas before Texas Had CHL's so if you happen to do the right thing and ice a murderer on a rampage you will be allright as fellow Texans will stand up for your right to "Keep the peace"

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
theMaster said:
so if you happen to do the right thing and ice a murderer on a rampage you will be allright as fellow Texans will stand up for your right to "Keep the peace"
Keep in mind that was back in 1990 before the age of political correctness. Back before all the gun control nazis were lining the politician's pockets.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I was going to install some pole holders in my boat, but maybe I should forgore that for a gunrack.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I was out there yesterday from 2-6 pm with Wacky, caught a ton of dinks and 3 keeps with the biggest a bit over 3 lbs.  The water was extremely still and we pulled all our fish off grass around the Quinlan area.  Slow day fishing but nice evening to be on the water.

Seriously guys, don't get all paranoid from this incident.  Does it happen?  Sure it does, in the past couple of years I've lived in Austin it has happened to me twice and after hearing about Chad's incident that makes the fifth person I know that had their windows smashed in during non daylight hours.  

Does it happen all the time?  Of course not...just get out and fish and if coming back to a smashed window is going to ruin your life just be sure to roll them all down prior to launching ;D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with the smith and wesson comment. This kind of thing has happened to me twice at Mansfield dam. And there was a freaking attendent at the front! Paying $$ for launching sucks when they won't catch something like this happening. But I tell you what; they NEVER forget to put a ticket on my windshield when I get in real early.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I heard back from my niece (APD) today. I had asked her if she knew of any unusual high crimes being reported at the loop 360 boat launch. She is in the crime scene investigation dept, forensics, her husband is also on the force. Doesn’t know of any specific problems in that area, but would ask around. He did mention that crime in all areas has been active lately. His comments,” to make sure they leave *nothing valuable* in their vehicles (this includes iPods, CD cases, even clothes can be valuable to crooks).
Also, if they're going to hide something in the trunk, make sure they
do it *before* they get to the location. Crooks hang out at these places, and they notice when unsuspecting victims put their purses, laptops, etc. in the trunk before locking the car. The crooks know there's something valuable in the trunk, so they break in (even if the
stuff is "hidden").
He also said that said that sounds like an area that Park Police (not Austin PD) would cover.

For you guys that want to read about the Austin crime statistics, and where the areas are hit the worse, this is a cool interactive map that lets you click on the area you want to see, and read the recent reports. Who, what, where and when the crime happened.

http://coagis1.ci.austin.tx.us/website/disclaimer/ArcIMS_disclaimer.html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
That's a good link!  24 Burglary of Vehicle around the 360 ramp!  Mine is already up there.   :eek:

BURGLARY OF VEH 49xx CAPITAL OF TEXAS HWY 11/05/2007 820 PARKING LOTS / GARAGE

*looks like 3 stolen props too*

101 - 114 of 114 Posts