Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we had the day off a buddy and I tried Lake Austin on Monday. Arrived at Quilan about 5:45 and started fishing by the Fat Farm. Thick grass everywhere but no takers on topwater. Switched to the other side and picked up 2 short fish on a craw and a wacky worm. Kept moving from spot to spot without much luck. We entered a small creek and I thought we had hit the mother load. We could see no less than 20 bass swimming in a group between 1 to 3 lbs but to our bad luck they were not in the mood to feed. We did catch 3 small bass and 1 huge perch on wackys there. After a hour of messing with those fish moved on and caught 2 keepers on a fluke and wacky with several more smaller fish. By 8 am the wake boats were starting to come out. When we had had enough at 11 am they were thick as flies on shizitt. Our run back to Quinlan was very pleasant to say the least with boats pulling tubes doing a zig zag pattern and the one ski boat that decided it would be a good idea to turn in front of us from the opposite side of the lake while pulling a skier.
Anyway water temps at 63 by quinland up to 71 by 360 bridge with grass everywhere.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Gary...stay out of my creek.   :mad:

Of course, I still don't know what the "Fat Farm" is, but I think I might now what it is...and if it's where I think it is...I think I know the creek you're talking about. They won't bite in there anymore though because I've fished it pretty heavily for about 2 months now and I think I've put a hole in the lip of every bass in there. Har!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "Fat Farm" is the resort right next to the Quinlan ramp (east side) It is a resort for people like me that need a slimming down. I didn't say where the creek was we were fishing but now I know where you are fishing!! Har! ;D

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
The funny thing is I bet what your calling Bass are actually Gizzard shad. There is one or more schools in or around that creek and they are all around a pound or more. Make sure your fishing for fish that will bite. ;D

Bass

I>\\\\>

Shad
>\\\\>

Shad has a V tail the bass is closer to flat. I ran into some guys fishing those schools of shad thinking they were bass. ;)

Not to say there aren't Bass there, there are, I just don't think you found em.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
415E41422423110 said:
Basstrack, thanks for the advise, but I know what a shad looks like. These were bass. I have seen 5 to 6 lbers in schools like this on LA.
Not trying to make this a pi$$ing contest. ;D Just want to be helpful. I was out there a couple weeks ago and the backseater in a Blue Mako was sure they were bass. Don't want you waisting your time. I am quite aware that larger bass school. They are commonly called Wolf Packs and I have seen them on LA closer to the 10 lb range not that it matters. Here is a fish that was there for the Gizzard Shad several weeks a go.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
There are big schools of those big shad in most of the creeks right now. Gary, sounds like we may be thinking of different creeks after all. I thought the Fat Farm was something else. If you're fishing in the one that is in that photo, then that's not the one I've mostly been fishing. I actually think there aren't too many people that know about the creek I've been fishing. Infact, I'm really impressed that I actually found it. haha. I had driven by it probably more than 20 or 30 times before I ever actually saw it. Still not sure how I did se it. The mouth of it is completely closed off with trees growing over it and it's just big enough to squeeze my boat into. Once you push through the tree branches, it opens up a bit and goes a ways back...but not a ton... whatever the case, I won't be fishing there for our night tourney this month. Night time is a whole different ball game...

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
1B041B187E794B0 said:
No worries BT, nice fish. I have that swimbait, maybe I should have used it. I did have several blowup on a frog but no hook ups.
Cool Gary, I sent you a PM. curious to see if it is the same swimbait.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
7B465D47564171524040330 said:
last time i was out there i saw a school of 8 to 12 pounders lighting up some of those monster shad. I bet there were 5 double digit fishin there. I almost cried it was so beautiful
If you ever find them again and need any help, I can probably get them hooked up. ;D

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
534E554F555D5248534F5E433B0 said:
does that magic creek have a bridge and a small park at the back of it?! park on left hand side if your going in? caught a lot of spawners in there earlier this year
They are all magic creeks on LA and they all give up great fish. There are NO single magic creeks. At least that's the story and I'm sticking to it..... :D

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
haha, this is funny because the best I can gather, I'm pretty sure I know which creeks each person is talking about and everyone is talking about a totally different creek from one another. :) There's dozens of creeks on Austin...every time that I think I've been in all of them, I happen to find another one. Some are definitely better than others at certain times of the year though. Like was said...they're all magic creeks...you just need to hit the right one at the right time...it's all timing.

·
Registered
933 Posts
0324223933243C2912392A3E252323500 said:
There are big schools of those big shad in most of the creeks right now.  Gary, sounds like we may be thinking of different creeks after all.  I thought the Fat Farm was something else.  If you're fishing in the one that is in that photo, then that's not the one I've mostly been fishing.  I actually think there aren't too many people that know about the creek I've been fishing.  Infact, I'm really impressed that I actually found it.  haha.  I had driven by it probably more than 20 or 30 times before I ever actually saw it.  Still not sure how I did se it.  The mouth of it is completely closed off with trees growing over it and it's just big enough to squeeze my boat into.  Once you push through the tree branches, it opens up a bit and goes a ways back...but not a ton... whatever the case, I won't be fishing there for our night tourney this month.  Night time is a whole different ball game...
Let me get this, you just moved here from Utah and you've found a creek on Lake Austin that no one knows about? ::) Now that's funny.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
0D353B3B2A3B2C133F2C355E0 said:
[quote author=0324223933243C2912392A3E252323500 link=1278429244/0#8 date=1278453390]There are big schools of those big shad in most of the creeks right now.  Gary, sounds like we may be thinking of different creeks after all.  I thought the Fat Farm was something else.  If you're fishing in the one that is in that photo, then that's not the one I've mostly been fishing.  I actually think there aren't too many people that know about the creek I've been fishing.  Infact, I'm really impressed that I actually found it.  haha.  I had driven by it probably more than 20 or 30 times before I ever actually saw it.  Still not sure how I did se it.  The mouth of it is completely closed off with trees growing over it and it's just big enough to squeeze my boat into.  Once you push through the tree branches, it opens up a bit and goes a ways back...but not a ton... whatever the case, I won't be fishing there for our night tourney this month.  Night time is a whole different ball game...
Let me get this, you just moved here from Utah and you've found a creek on Lake Austin that no one knows about?  ::) Now that's funny.
[/quote]

Clearly, you didn't read his post. :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.