Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've done any fishing just for the fun of it where I wasn't either scouting out water for a tournament or fishing in a tournament.  Although, technically, my club tournament is on Austin this month...so maybe I was scouting out water?  Whatever the case..tThe last two weeks have been super stressful, so I finally planned to go out today and just have some fun.  I was going to go to LBJ, but after sleeping in a bit later than anticipated switched plans and went to Austin.  I figured with the rain most of the ski boats wouldn't go out.  The rain stayed away for the most part with a few short heavy downpours here and there, but the weather mostly cooperated.  There was some cloud cover, but around 10 AM or so the sun started peeking through.

Today was one of those days where everything goes how it should and the fish are right where they should be.  Now if only I can make that happen in a tournament, maybe I'll be on to something.  Made it on the water at about 6:45AM.  Went out today deciding to target post-spawn fish and hopefully catch fish how I wanted to catch them.  The two main things I wanted to do today was topwater and flip.  Worked out great.  Ended up catching 18 fish, with 8 of those being keepers (told a couple guys on the water I caught 10-12 keepers, but thinking back on it I can only positively count 8).  I kept my five biggest in the livewell to see how big of a sack I could accumulate.  Best five ended up weighing just over 17lbs with the big fish weighing 6.5lbs on the nose.  I caught all of my fish on the upper end of the lake as I had launched at Quinlan.  All fish were caught in typical post-spawn staging areas and all appeared to be post-spawn (either skinny or really beat up with red sores on them)...with the exception of one really chunky healthy 2lber.  The big one looked like it had the frame to be an 8+lb fish, but she was real skinny and spawned out.  Started the day with a topwater walking bait similar to a Sammy, and caught one of my bigger keepers on that plus several smaller fish.  I also had a HUGE blow-up that failed to hook up and lost one other fish that looked keeper size.  I was getting lots of bites on top, and once they quit hitting it I switched to a fluke type bait in the same area plus other areas.  Caught most of my fish on this bait today...several shorts and most of my keepers.  Filled out my limit with the fluke and even culled once.  Hitting various post-spawn staging areas with the fluke.  I also tried flipping a tube quite a bit, but that didn't work out so well.  Pulled out a 1/2oz jig that I put together last night that was meant to match the color of a crawfish I caught at LA recently...and began fishing a short section of rock bluff close to a prime spawning area.  Started stroking the jig along the bluff and that's when I hooked the big one...another cull.  :)  Came up on some hydrilla mats, and started flipping it with a brush hog and hooked my last keeper for one more cull.  

Great day to be out on the water.  It didn't take long once that sun started peeking out though for the ski boats to start making an appearance.  I finished up at 12:15PM.

Pic of my 2 biggest ones today.  The big one is the jig fish and the other one is a topwater fish.  I look like a one-legged pirate in the pic because I had my other foot up on my rod locker to keep balanced in all the ski boat wakes. :cool:

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Sweet report Ander. Headed out there in the morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.