Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather: It was nice and warm in the morning then got kinda hot as the day went on. The first few hours in the morning were pretty overcast, but then the clouds cleared and it was sunny. Not sure what the air temps were. I wasn't really paying attention.

Water Conditions: Water temps started in the morning at about 67 degrees but found water as warm as 70 later in the day. Fished from the 360 bridge on up and found water got progressively clearer as I moved up lake. Down at the bridge the water was kind of stained with like 3-4ft visibility, but found areas with as good as about 6ft visibility.

The Fishin': Ended up boating my usual 5 keepers, but lost 2 others right at the boat. Luckily neither of them were the big bite of the day though. Primarily my purpose today was just kind of scouting out what the upper end of the lake is like and just trying to fish some new water. Spent most of the day fishing sloughs/creeks off the main lake. I was trying to see if I could find anything still on beds. I saw a lot of beds, but they were all vacant. Found fish around and close to the beds, just not on them. Saw lots of fry too. Ended up catching one and losing one on a fluke in the morning. Also caught a bunch of 12-13 inchers throwing a weightless trick worm. Lots of dinks. Once the sun came out they quit eating the fluke / worm. After that I saw lots of good fish most everywhere I went, but just couldn't get them to eat anything. Finally figured out to just start making long casts. If I could see the fish, they wouldn't eat. Caught the rest of my fish making long casts with a drop-shot rig. All fish were in extremely shallow water...less than 3ft. Ended up with about 15.5lbs for my 5 keepers. Big fish was a 5lb 3oz on the drop-shot. Took forever to get that thing in fishing around all the trees / brush I was around only using 8lb test on a spinning rod. Sure got the heart pumpin'...

· Registered
688 Posts
Awesome report. Lake Austin has been driving me crazy recently. I know there are some massive fish but I'm lucky to find anything over 12" on most trips.

I know one thing: The more ABF I read, the better my chances are!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.