Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The best part about being a weekend angler is the weekend. I had a fun day at Lady Bird yesterday. Then work called. Fortunately, my customer was willing to be flexible. He allowed me to work til 10pm last night, so I can fish this morning.

I woke up at 4am, because I hadn’t tied that FG knot. I analyzed the Fake Radar and no lightning anywhere. I tied the FG on the jabroni rig and listened to the wind tell me where to fish. Thanks morning gusts, you’re telling me back to Lady Bird.

I had a couple ideas tackle-wise from yesterday: DS and SSJr. I needed more options, so before I left the house, I tied up the Kraken spinnerbait and stuffed a pack of GrandeBass Megatails in my tackle bag. Lady Bird bass love GrandeBass.

I headed south on the deserted 130, gassing the hoopty up to a bone-rattling 60mph. A couple miles later I slowed to 55mph to allow the truck behind me to overtake. I gave the high sign out the window as I was passed by a super nice rig. The boat looked really familiar, a clean white and teal Stratus with a big outboard. LOL, these early birds have to be weekend anglers, for sure. I called my brother from another mother. He offered to tow me all over Bastrop. Nah, I’ve got my sights set on the ’Bird, but Good Luck at the ‘Strop,Todd.

I assembled the Pond Prowler and shoved off, marveling at the beauty of downtown Austin. For change‘s sake, I went across to the south bank for the first run. I drifted upriver and got blow-ups on the Spook Junior but only one hook-up. The choppy surface was swallowing the spook, so I fished pullbaits. I was throwing vibrating jig and spinnerbait, but hauled water. I anchored up on brushpiles and got tons of perch strikes on DS. After several hours, I got a nice strike on DS. A nice two-pounder ran towards the boat and jumped off. I started thinking the fishing is not good today. Perish the thought!

Parking is free on Sunday and I brought PB&J sandwiches, so I’m gonna stick it out. The holiday float arrived and the lake was awash in colorful watercraft. I mean, girls in bikinis and dogs in life vests paddling by, who wouldn’t want to stay. I‘ve become very fond of this lake.

I took a moment to put on sunscreen and chug a quart of water. Then I made the circuit a second time. Tons of perch taps. I actually hooked a yellow-belly and the whole school chased him to the surface. Cumulus clouds and a nice breeze on a cool lake, sublime.

It was nearly noon. I decided to give one of my spots a third go ‘round. A nice drop off with brushpiles, shade and lee. I set the anchor down in around twelve feet of water and cast the drop-shot towards the cover. Nada. I looked at my pullbaits and vetoed that. I pulled the Ol‘ Monster off the T-rig and threaded on a GrandeBass Watermelon Candy Mag Red 8” MegaTail Rattlesnake on to the Gamakatsu 0000 EWG hook. I was Texas Rigging with a 3/16 oz green pumpkin tungsten boat tail weight, 8mm chartreuse bead, and 17 pound test Vicious flourocarbon.

I depressed the thumb bar on my Quantum Smoke Speed Freak and swung the 7’3” MH One3 Fate Chrome. The lure splashed down and I let it settle. I dragged the worm down the slope slowly giving long pauses. Presently, my line started moving, not down...but away. I cranked the Smoke’s handle and swung for the bleachers. I thought I hung the brushpile. Then all hell broke loose.

I learned my lesson, too many times, showin’ out and then losing good’uns. But this is a GIANT and I’m surrounded by foxes on paddleboards so I’m showin’ out to beat the band. I’m going full Iaconelli, and this largemouth wants no part of it. Jumping fully out of the water, three blistering drag-pulls, out running the Speed Freak, yeah buddy! I fumbled the first grab, I‘ve got to get better at this. Second grab and my grip faltered but held. I hoisted the bass high and howled, the cry echoing all the way to Congress.

I’ve lost three big’uns this year and man it felt good to have this one. I took a breath and howled a second time, this time getting claps and hollers from the float armada. Kind people took my picture. I’m good at getting a bass selfie with fish under four pounds. Above that it gets hard. Luckily there no shortage of cameras at Lady Bird. I got some pics, twirled up my rods and headed home. I‘m going to listen to the wind more often.
6300012B-9CD1-40D1-AB8A-C02F0DFFCDCB.jpeg
436FD77C-D01F-4A80-BC49-B18F11D8C83F.jpeg
92A1B643-0319-404A-8310-4BB887F338A8.jpeg
CAED9959-1815-4A6B-A278-CE6501651F9A.jpeg

·
Registered
317 Posts
Man that is awesome. You made the right choice this morning. Bastrop was tough today. Couldn't get my friends 7 year old a bite.

How much did your beast weight? Is it a named fish.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is a big stud of a fish from the (sometimes) fruitful waters of LBL. Maybe she will be back in full force this year! Good job on that, they are in there but can be hard to come by. Now you have my eyes wanting to get back on the Bird...

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can call her Sharon if you see her again. Sharon is my Personal Best at Lady Bird. She is in my all-time Top Ten at number six. She weighs 8 pounds 3 ounces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts