Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: January 20, 2017 (Friday)
Time: About 3:00 pm to 5:30 pm
Weather: Mid-70s, partly cloudy, dropping barometric pressure according to Fishidy

I rented a kayak and fished the afternoon. I caught and released three bass total, all around the 2 to 3 lb range. First two were long with large heads and "shoulders" but quickly tapered. The last fish was average and healthy-looking. Unfortunately, my girlfriend and my fishing buddy both got skunked.

The first two were from a spot remover shakey head. The last one was from bombing a 1/2 ounce football jig parallel to the shoreline.

Usually, I have a lot of trouble catching anything from LBL/Town Lake, but Friday was definitely fun! While the bites were few, they were aggressive and great fights. Please let me know if you all have any tips as I am sort of stuck to fishing LBL/Town Lake (other than bank fishing ponds) and am relatively new to freshwater fishing.

·
Registered
855 Posts
You're doing what I did for about a year before I bought my own kayak. Keep getting on water as much as you can — be it renting or bank fishing.

I assume that The Rowing Center still has a punch card for rentals. You pay a lot up front, but you then don't have to pay by the hour anymore. And the card knocks the average day rental down a decent amount.

Another option — if you can transport it — is to rent from Austin Canoe and Kayak. Lots of kayaks to choose from, many that are designed for fishing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ditto on the rentals and getting on the water. Good job on getting bites and fish on Town Lake. Last 3 trips I've made were cool to get out and see fish but zero on the catch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts