Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Father’s Day!

I quietly rigged out the Pond Prowler in the pre-dawn hour of this last day of Spring. After today, y’all won’t have to get up so early to beat me to the lake as the days shorten up after Summer Solstice. No challengers this morning, I launched first from Holiday Inn with nav lights on. I trolled across to change up my start routine. The wind was calm. I cast SSJr to the bank and walked it back. I got eight cutie-pie blow-ups on the spook, but nothing hooked up. I cast square bill and vibrating jig. Again, both were bumped, but no hook ups. I’m starting to wonder if I’d picked the wrong lake this morning.

I holstered the hard baits and picked up the senko rod. I was desperate for a fish. I cast the senko to an underwater concrete wall and caught a fish. Yes! I caught two more senko fish from the wall. I went up river as the sun came up but I couldn’t get another senko fish. I posted up under First Street and drop-shotted. Nada. It was time for an adjustment.

This morning, at the last minute, I’d grabbed a bag of flukes and stuffed them into my tackle bag. I cut off the chatterbait and tied on a 0000 medium-wire EWG hook. I dipped the fluke tail in the garlic sauce. I made turns upriver. I got to the Shoal Creek Island, a stretch I typically skip over, and cast the fluke out into the witch heads. The rod got heavy and I set the hook. I hollered out and a tub jumped near the bank. With full Lady Bird drama, I played down the fish and hoisted the 3 lb. 12 oz. triumphantly overhead to the cheers of the paddleboard armada. I caught three more on fluke from the witch heads. I’m having fun now!

The water is crystal clear with a fluorescent green tint. The surface water temperature is 84°F. The vegetation is topping out and matting in places. The people of Austin are delighful and no one on this lake is having a bad time. A young couple on paddle boards asked me about fishing this lake. I told them I drive past two lakes to get here because I love this lake so much. They told me they regularly drive here from San Antonio because they enjoy floating Lady Bird.

I went up to the grass near Barton Creek and caught a nice fish on TR BBH. That is the first fish I’ve caught on BBH in a long time, but I digress. I turned around and started drop-shotting my way downriver. I caught seven on drop-shot and a couple more on senko. Nothing was hitting 10.5” ribbontail, so I swapped it out for a beaver and promptly caught one. All in all, a very fun day downtown. Off at 12:30.
E69337CF-159C-4188-B7A2-525E3512A440.jpeg
F132955F-6407-4AA1-BE16-B1B894054026.jpeg
3217B900-1CD9-461A-876B-590EB9C85596.jpeg

·
Registered
63 Posts
I may need to get back out to lady bird some time! Last time I was there a couple of years ago I got gnarly poison ivy. I've gotten better at finding and catching fish, and know to pay a little more attention to what I'm walking through now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts