Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hoisted Old Glory, poured a cup of coffee and loaded the hoopty truck. At 5:30am I pulled in to the Holiday Inn ramp as a megawatt bow fishing pontoon boat was being pulled out. I rigged the Pond Prowler in the near darkness, the glow from downtown providing enough light. I launched and let the wind drift me upriver.

I cast a walking topwater under tree branches and over rocky flats. I got over a dozen blowups and four in the boat. Spectacular acrobatics leaping over the lure, multiple fish hitting at once and at least one good’un missed. Pretty cool.

Fun holiday watercraft traffic interlaced my morning. Rowers in formation, couples in tandem yaks and girls with dogs on paddleboards. Hundreds on the Butler Trail. I did a double take, couldn’t believe my eyes, I’m pretty sure I saw one person actually WEARING A MASK! The new whatever...

Anglers in all manner of watercraft. Aluminum and fiberglass bass boats, canoes, inflatables and bike raft, and of course ’yaks. It started raining, but instead of donning rain gear, I applied sunscreen for the first time this year. The Duck whistled and a water taxi motored by. What a beautiful day.

The wind was at full honk, so I anchored and drop-shot roboworms for effect. I got a lot of short strikes. I managed to get three in the boat while sacrificing three lead cylinders to the brush pile. Finally snagged good and broke my FG. It took a good pull to break it and I’m happy that the knot lasted as long as it did. It started months ago as a 40’ 8# flouro leader. Before every trip, I cut off the hook and retie the Palomar. All gone so I put the bow in the wind and futilely tossed a Texas-rigged Ol’ Monster while trolling down lake. My parking expired at noon so I took it to the ramp.

I’ll type out this post, retie the FG and thank God I’m an American.
99197574-69DD-43D3-932E-533059BC6427.jpeg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I first fished Town Lake in '72 when I was at UT. Fished from the bank and managed to catch one every now and then. Fast forward to 2000-2003 when I'd come visit my son and drag my Bass Tracker along. We had some good days and hardly ever saw anyone else fishing. The kayak explosion hadn't happened and only remember seeing one paddle board...a guy was fishing from it. My how things have changed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts