Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed fishing Lady Bird last weekend. I fished Decker both Saturday and Sunday of last weekend. This morning the wind was right for the Pond Prowler at Decker, but I chose to fish Town Lake instead. I was moving a little slower this morning due to muscle soreness from laying in a nice haul of ice storm live oak firewood, cut down by a clean-up crew. All I have left to do is split it. I launched fourth at safe light, behind a yak, a two-man, and a center console.

The late start had me spun out a little bit. I was cranking and chatterbaiting and hauling water. The angler in the two-man told me he had caught three and asked how many I had caught. I started to regret my decision to pass up Decker. I regretted even more when it occurred to me that the fish had been hammered on last weekend from last weekend’s kayak tourney (won with 94.5”). I went an hour without a bite.

The angler in the two-man was heading back to the ramp. He told me he thought the bite would be better this evening. My instinct told me the fish would bite once the sun got a little higher. My instincts were validated by a good’un that smoked the TR BBH near Waller. I saw a Texas flag being hoisted over Congress. I heard a marching band warming up. Another good’un smashed the BBH. He must’ve liked the band.

I knew last Thursday marked Texas Independence Day. I remembered last year when Todd and I sailed under this same parade and Todd joked that the parade was for Ukrainian Independence Day. Man, hard to believe that war has been dragging on this long. I got a couple senko fish from the shoreline while City Hall’s fire alarm chirped incessantly.

The CC turned back down to the ramp on troller. A scofflaw Tracker went up the lake on gas engine, no instant karma today. A yakker was working the Seaholm grass with a glide bait. By now the lake is running full tilt boogie, recreational yakkers and rowers from bank to bank. I saw many families of four in canoes. The trails were packed with fitness freaks and dog walkers. I could hear the West African Drum and Dance Community beats rolling down from Palmer Events. The rhythms were beautiful, they were invigorating me with spirit.

I cast out shakeyhead and let it soak. I got a tap and r’ared back, bending the rod fully. When I felt good weight, I went berserk, shouting and carrying-on. I swung the rod this way and that, reeling furiously, fully screaming, “I NEED THIS FISH!!!” I bellied the fish, stood and whooped to the cheers from Auditorium Shores. Very next cast, I did the whole Ike routine all over again for another four pounder, but the cheers weren’t quite as loud this time. I caught four more fun fish from the trestle.

The yakker holstered his glide bait and was starting up lake when a squadron of female rowers got to the Seaholm rocks. The coach boat operator got on her bull horn and asked all watercraft to head to the shore. She said please a couple times. The yakker and I were not in her lane so we were ignoring her. As she passed us, she dropped the please and hollered at a recreational kayak group of six or so that were drifting under the trestle, “You can’t be under the bridge, you must get out of the way.“

I laughed and told her, “You sure are bossy.”

She answered, “Yeah, ha-ha, just a little.”

I went up to Lamar but I wasn’t able to get bit. I turned back and fished along Auditorium Shores, catching cutie-pies on senkos in the vicinity of the Stevie Ray Vaughn statue. I tempered the showing out because of the much smaller fish. The wind was gusting up and I decide to call it. I caught fourteen largemouth. Off at 1:30PM.
Water Sky Smile Building Vertebrate
Water Building Smile Skyscraper Sky
Water Boat Watercraft Building Sky
Water Sky Vertebrate Fisherman Outdoor recreation

· Registered
467 Posts
Great catch, photos, and report as usual. I know I've said this before but every time I hear about all the traffic there I think about dragging my boat to Austin to fish with my son (graduated 2003) and we rarely saw another person on the water. Caught a bunch of fish also.

· Super Moderator
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The recreational ‘traffic“ use to upset me quite a bit. I felt as if my cast circle belonged to me and interlopers would interfere with my ability to catch a fish.

For me, it seems like I’m fishing virgin water most of the time at Lady Bird, unlike Decker where it seems to be a crowded carousel of boats rounding the lake. I feel like there is more angling traffic at Bastrop and Decker than at Lady Bird.

These days, for me anyway, the recreational traffic is part of the charm of fishing here. I’ve adjusted my mentality to grant right-of-way to the rowers as long as they stay in their lane. It is very rare that they wander. In those immortal words, It’s easier to “just get along.” The recreational yakkers are a hoot, they add a festival atmosphere and don’t impact the fishing much at all if even any at all.

I get what you’re saying, this use to be a little college town. Over the last several years, a new residential tower begins leasing downtown at least once a month.

· Registered
67 Posts
Gonna have to change your name to AOE. No, not AOC...(please!). AOE = always on em! Nice work and some really nice ones! I've never even been on Lady Bird or Lake Austin. How is the situation re vandalism with parking a truck/boat trailer for Lake Austin?

· Super Moderator
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the kind words, men. It had been awhile since I’d had a good run of fish at any of the lakes I fish. Three four pounders on Saturday: 4-2, 4-4, and 4-10 made for a really fun day at Lady Bird.

5 good bites, you may have reserved praise if you had known about my Sunday Decker skunk, I was too embarrassed to write anything.

I have never fished Lake Austin so I can’t comment on the parking there. I don’t forsee ever fishing there because I hear there is extensive wake boat traffic. This type of wake could easily swamp my Pond Prowler.

Today I went to Pflugerville and caught two small fish in three hours.
Water Cloud Sky Vertebrate Fish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts