Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lake was already heavily trafficked with rowers when I launched minutes before safe light. I started getting bit right away, boating a handful of senko fish. I had to skip over some shoreline because of floating grass. I resumed fishing at Congress where I got another handful of bass with TR trick worm. A parade of some sort drummed its way south across the river.

Its been a several months since I’ve fished Seaholm so I made turns upriver. God turned on His giant air conditioner and I put on my winter coat. I blanked at the Seaholm rocks. I moved up to fish the trestle. All morning I’d been hugging the pylons to give the rowers plenty of room. A one man scull was rowing upriver, so I gave him the lane and moved to the south of the trestle island. A coach boat hailed me, “Heads up fishing boat.” I saw two 8-person row boats changing lanes to row into oncoming traffic. I held my position close to the island. The coach boat again on the bull horn, “Heads up fishing boat.” The convoy of five boats shuddered to a stop. The exasperated coach asked, “Are you stuck?”

I said, “I’m drifting with fishing line out. I moved to this side of the lake to give you the right side of the lake like it shows on the city’s rowing map. You are on the wrong side. We are not in England.”

He said, “I guess we’ll go around.” They turned left and proceeded up the wrong side of the lake. I wondered if they were the Dartmouth team that comes to Austin to row in the winter because their lakes turn into a sheet of ice this time of year.

I got a couple of perch taps from the trestle but no catch. I went back to First street where I caught a fun fish with the big ribbontail. I caught three on Tokyo Rig from Congress, showing out for rowers. I drifted along the Statesman shoreline and caught a good’un on the senko. I fished my way on down river. My parking was expired so I took it to the ramp. I caught fifteen largemouth, not too shabby, not shabby at all. Off at 1:00PM.
Smile Fish Fisherman Tree Fishing
Water Building Sky Smile Skyscraper
Water Fisherman Fish Salmon-like fish Fish hook
Smile Water Fisherman Outdoor recreation Fish

· Registered
1 Posts
The lake was already heavily trafficked with rowers when I launched minutes before safe light. I started getting bit right away, boating a handful of senko fish. I had to skip over some shoreline because of floating grass. I resumed fishing at Congress where I got another handful of bass with TR trick worm. A parade of some sort drummed its way south across the river.

Its been a several months since I’ve fished Seaholm so I made turns upriver. God turned on His giant air conditioner and I put on my winter coat. I blanked at the Seaholm rocks. I moved up to fish the trestle. All morning I’d been hugging the pylons to give the rowers plenty of room. A one man scull was rowing upriver, so I gave him the lane and moved to the south of the trestle island. A coach boat hailed me, “Heads up fishing boat.” I saw two 8-person row boats changing lanes to row into oncoming traffic. I held my position close to the island. The coach boat again on the bull horn, “Heads up fishing boat.” The convoy of five boats shuddered to a stop. The exasperated coach asked, “Are you stuck?”

I said, “I’m drifting with fishing line out. I moved to this side of the lake to give you the right side of the lake like it shows on the city’s rowing map. You are on the wrong side. We are not in England.”

He said, “I guess we’ll go around.” They turned left and proceeded up the wrong side of the lake. I wondered if they were the Dartmouth team that comes to Austin to row in the winter because their lakes turn into a sheet of ice this time of year.

I got a couple of perch taps from the trestle but no catch. I went back to First street where I caught a fun fish with the big ribbontail. I caught three on Tokyo Rig from Congress, showing out for rowers. I drifted along the Statesman shoreline and caught a good’un on the senko. I fished my way on down river. My parking was expired so I took it to the ramp. I caught fifteen largemouth, not too shabby, not shabby at all. Off at 1:00PM.
View attachment 45806 View attachment 45807 View attachment 45808 View attachment 45809
do you fish the tokyo stop and start? like a jig ? or keep it constantly moving ?

· Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Tokyo Rig is something I rarely throw. The only reason I tied it on was Todd was catching them pretty good on it at Bastrop a couple weeks ago. At the Congress Street Bridge, I was letting the Tokyo Rig settle in the narrow gap between the concrete pylon and the fanwort and pretty much deadstick in 12 FOW. The Tokyo Rig is reminiscent of a mini drop drop-shot, so my instinct is to fish it that way. It was a lot easier to cast the Tokyo into that tight gap instead of a drop shot.

Otherwise, my default with most techniques is to fish it like Texas Rig: Hop, drag or swim, with pauses of various lengths.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts