Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Todd let me pick the lake for this morning’s trip. I told him, “Lady Bird, I’ll be at your house at 4 A.M. Central Standard Time.” Last month’s Blue Moon was still lighting the sky when we backed down the ramp at Holiday Inn. I think we were first, because if you’re not first, you know.

Todd had tuned up the electrical propulsion wiring on the Stratus. I pointed up river and said, “We should fish to Barton Creek and back.” On the way, we stopped and fished the Rowing Center where I caught a cutie-pie and Todd nailed a good’un.

We stopped again at First Street where I caught a cutie-pie on drop-shot while Todd played Frogger with the scull squadron. One rower saw us from Congress and still nearly collided with us. The rower broke rhythm and told me, “It’s too early in the morning for this.” Another day at The Bird...

We continued uplake and paused at Seaholm to fish. I look up front and see Todd wrestling in ANOTHER good’un. This dude had thrown a senko at the dead-center, smack-middle of the rip-rap. Is it random luck or is he really that good? IDK. We get a laugh from that and continue uplake.

I’d already made several casts at a spot on the bank under Lamar. Todd looks back, tosses his drop-shot in there and BAM, a third good’un. It was probably four pounds, but he tossed it back before I could get a picture. It’s his day today for sure.

We went up Barton Creek, marveling at the big largemouth and gawking at the gorgeous paddleboarders. We threw senkos for a bit and then headed back down river. We caught some more cutie-pies on soft plastics at the pedestrian bridge. The cold front never happened, so I stripped off my shirts for a couple of casts. Sure enough, I caught a fiesty Guadelupe Bass and sent the shirtless Guad-selfie to the better half! LOL!

We got to First Street and I asked Todd to slow our pace so we could fish the Hyatt a little more thoroughly. There were a lot of people enjoying the Butler Trail along the lakefront there. Todd wondered out loud how it would be if one of us hooked into a nice fish and retrieved it in front of the crowd.

Right then, my Baby Brush Hog got thumped...then swam! I lowered my rod tip as the line straightened out, then shot my arms skyward and speedily spun the reel. I said plainly, “I got him.”

Then it popped in my head, the Captain had implied permission for me to show out. I obliged.

I raised my voice to top volume and yelled, “I GOT HIM!” I had substantial bend in my rod so I quickly added, “IT’S A GIANT!” followed by “GET IN THE BOAT!”

I stole a glance at the trail. I had the attention of a few curious onlookers, so I went into full Iaconelli mode. I’m bending at the knees and twerking while screaming, “WE NEED THIS FISH!” I think Todd rolled his eyes skyward, unable to witness the spectacle. I ran around the boat a couple times then kneeled and scooped up the fish. I raised the good’un to the sky and whooped a war cry. Applause and cheers erupted from both banks. I took a bow.

The closest onlooker said, “Nice fish!” I told him I dramatized it a bit. He said, “It was fun watching you.”

The swirling wind pushed and pulled us down the bank. We got a few more cutie-pies on senko in our time-change bonus hour. We totaled thirteen fish. Lady Bird is such an awesome lake. Can’t wait to get back!
D31F413D-0820-4A44-B08D-7D3EDCE20634.jpeg
889242F3-4B5E-4976-8750-EDA18CA13C19.jpeg

·
Registered
154 Posts
I almost went there this morning, but the extra hour ( plus the firepit and beers from the night before ) won out. Looks like you guys had a great trip, and the "Ike" reference cracked me up. Still waiting on him to get thrown out of the boat by the boat official. Glad you caught the "Ike" on a BBH. Hard to beat that lure on that lake for me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts