Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weekend angler studied the wind and studied the map. Lady Bird is always a good choice, so that’s where I went. I’d forgotten about yesterday’s rain, in the dark I couldn’t ascertain clarity. The NW wind was funneling right down the pike, wavelets lapping up on the Holiday Inn ramp.

I looked uplake and downlake, no other anglers in sight. In fact, the only people around were the incredibly beautiful and vibrant female fitness enthusiasts. These pretty, young, healthy joggers don’t carry flashlights, much less reciprocating saws. I think the F-150’s cats are going to be here when I get back, so I launched, my only trepidation being getting skunked or maybe a parking ticket.

I’d launched at safe light, pushing uplake. I beat the northern bank from the ramp all the way to Waller without even a sniff. I tried chatterbait, senko and texas rig. Did I goof up coming here?

The rowing docks were very busy. The row traffic was already heavy, but these were the skilled teams, keeping in their lane. Respecting the “Active Dock” sign, I cast around the docks from the periphery. I set the TR straight tail worm right on the corner of the retaining wall, got bit and slammed back. I boated the first fish of the morning, a hard fighting fun-fish. No skunk for me.

I kept moving uplake beating the bank. I got to the Ann Richards bridge and anchored upwind of the middle pilings. I missed a couple of short strikes. I gave it a good try there, but it was time to move on. The wind was coming up so I decided against continuing to First Street. I flipped a bich and drifted back down the southern bank.

The Lady Bird fanwort is setting roots in nearly twenty feet of water. I was desperate to find the outside edge. I was a couple casts lengths from shore and casting and swimming an Ol’ Monster. The big ribbontail was struck and I whiffed the hookset. I was stoked to have got a bite, so I immediately dropped the anchor. I cast the Ol’ Monster out and was struck again, this time getting a good bend in the rod. A couple handle turns later, the line went slack and I got back half a worm.

I picked up my other TR rig, the straight tail, and cast it into the wind along the outside edge. I could feel some wood. As I came across a limb, the worm was struck and I r’ared back. I got a nice fight out of this three pound good’un which was barely skin-hooked in his lip. I replicated the cast and a few casts later was rewarded with another three-pounder. Now I’m really happy, some of the sting from the Astro’s loss last night giving way to the giddiness of a good largemouth fight.

A squadron of rowers were approaching, one of the three being a four-woman scull that was on a near collision course with me. The coach boat said too late, “Give the small boat more room!”

Her oar picked up my line, running up the shaft towards her hand as I remarked, “Careful. There’s an awfully sharp hook on the end of that line.” She dropped the oar, the line sliding off the paddle. I lowered my rod tip to let the tungsten take it back down, dropping right in to the mouth of another three pounder! So you see, sometimes the rowers can help!

I patiently worked that stump some more and no more bites. I fished there for another quarter hour, but the fish must’ve moved on, and so did I. I weighed anchor and went back across looking for lee, but there was none. The visibility was about a foot and the water temp around 69°F. I cast the worm under an overhang and got fish number five, another hard charging fun-fish.

My parking had been expired since noon, so I took it to the ramp. Off at 1:00PM. C’mon Astros!!!
Water Sky Smile Cloud Fisherman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts