Bass Fishing Forum banner

Lady Bird 10/25/20

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  flykast 
#1 ·
After yesterday’s lackluster outing at The Bird, I considered my options. Since the Covid-19 outbreak I’ve usually fished two different lakes over the weekend. For Sunday, I thought about Bastrop (numbers) or Pflugerville (big’uns). In the end, I decided I had unfinished business at Lady Bird. My kayaker friend had told me that yesterday’s good bite was early, so I arrived pre-dawn.

The kayaker and I were the only anglers launching from Holiday Inn this morning. I was backing down the ramp as he pedaled off. I hollered that he’d better save me some. Turns out I’d flip the script on my kayak friend.

Yesterday, I was discouraged when he told me he was hammerin’ ‘em, but I kept at it and managed one good’un and some fun-fish. Today it was my turn. I had retied my lines last night, my prep was solid. I got one in the dark, which always portends good fishing. I moved uplake. I tossed a senko into a ditch. Yeah.

I saw my line was swimming, I didn’t feel the bite. I reeled down and r’ared back. Oh, man. The fish jumped, a tub! No one around to show out for, so I quietly played the fish, concentrating on keeping even pressure on the bent rod. The fish surged and I pointed the rod, letting the fish take line against a tight drag. I turned her and she shallowed up. I stuck the rod tip in the water, but she broached anyway, coming fully out of the water. Man, what a fish!

I led her around the boat a half dozen times and then lipped her without too much drama. I gave a shout of relief and looked for a photographer. I weighed, measured and took pictures. I love these fish so much, I wanted to hold her forever, but I know she belongs in the water, so back she went. Free the Fighter!

My kayak friend came back from Auditorium Shores. He’d caught six fish, but the larger fish had eluded him. I told him about my big’un. He asked what I’d caught it on and I told him. I don’t think he goes too much to senko. He told me if he didn’t get a bigger fish down at Fiesta, he was going to load up and go to another lake.

He went downlake and I went uplake. I‘d barely gone a couple hundred feet when I saw a wad of fish on my old black and white Mk5. I’d tied on a hardbait last night, so I turned and cast it off the stern. I paused it on the way back and it got slammed!!!...by a four pounder!!!. Now I’m really glad I’m back at The Bird!

Big’un details: I was fishing a GYCB Watermelon/Black Flk 194 5” Yamasenko rigged with #010 Buna 70 O-ring. The tail was dipped 1/2” in Spike-It Chartreuse Garlic Dye. I had a 3/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook tied onto 15# Seaguar Red Label fluorocarbon line with a Zona Shark knot. The rod was 7’ MF All*Star and Abu Garcia 7.3:1 Revo X reel. The bass weighed 6 pounds 9 ounces and measured 22.5”. Cowabunga!
Fish Fish Fishing Bass Recreation
Fish Bass Fishing Fish Recreation

See less See more
#5 ·
Jeremy I hope that you can truly understand that the way you explain how your fishing trips are and what you caught along with items used is special and for someone like me very enjoyable to be able to read about because 95 percent of the fishing would never tell you this information or ask another fisherman knowing that they would be getting half truth also it is extremly refreshing knowing that when I read your post that you are in no way bragging or trying to show off you write everything in a way very few could ever do.I do think that you know that very few people who fish any where on the planet have days of fishing in there lifetime that is nothing more then most of your fishing trips as far as the amount of fish caught and this is just a plain fact and the direct result of your love for fishing which those of us who still get goose bumps every time we even feel a bite and think about it over and over again what we did wrong or could have done different know the drive. When I talked to you the other day at Lake Pflugerville that was probably the fifteenth day in a row I had been there since the very first little front blew with all the rain fished right threw the wind and rain mostly right there at the boat ramp because it was way to rough to launch boat but the fishing was lets just say decent and with all the free bait a few steps away well I could not resist and if you are wondering I have fished my entire life starting as early as I can remember growing up in Victoria Texas this included 2 6 week sessions of shrimping that my dad also did it was called a sportsman shrimping licinse with a 100 pound limit per boat per day for 6 weeks two different time a year the rest of the year was spent in the back bays from Port Lavaca to Port O'Connor growing up until I moved to Austin in 1982 and continuing fishing every chance I had when raising my family here until this day so when I say that you truly have a gift for fishing but what for me and I am only speacking for myself separates you from all others that I have ever known is your willingness to humble yourself and openness to others who could not wipe your --- when it comes to fishing I.E. the ones who blast right by you and right threw the very place the fish are all the while looking at you in your thinking that you are for the most part spinning your wheels when you have already caught that day more fish then they will catch over there next several trips combined. No need to reply and downplay yourself just continue being the man that you are . I do not remember who it was but it might have been you awile back asking me about the twin troller boat that I have I am letting you know right now that you and friend are more then welcome to swing by one day and pick it up and take it out all day and see for yourself what you think about am not worried in the least about it and it is completely legal tailor and all up to date I do not need to be there with you just text me and let me know.Right now I am living right off of Greenlawn Blvd in Round Rock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.