Bass Fishing Forum banner

Lady Bird 10/24/20

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeremy 
#1 ·
I launched at safe light from Holiday Inn. I fished the north side as I trolled upriver. I had some bites, but I just wasn’t hooking up. I got to First Street before I finally got one in the boat.

I moved over to the spot where I saw my kayak friend catch a six pounder last time I was here. Right when I set the anchor down, guess who pedaled up. He cast out and caught a three pounder. He told me he’d had a really good day and told me some really big numbers. I wish I could fish like this guy!

I started back down the south shoreline, catching six largemouth and feeling better about my abilities. I caught fish on WW Senko, weightless Fluke, DS Roboworm, TR BBH and TR Ol’ Monster.

Funny thing, you know the perch tap, right? Got the little sucker today! Off at 3 pm.
Fish Bass Fishing bait Bait Spoon lure
Fish Fishing Bass Fish Recreation

See less See more
#8 ·
Those "perch taps" got me my Matilda back on 4/20/14. Fished the south bank, west of Barton Creek, using a black 10" worm. Kept getting perch taps, so switched to the red bug BBH texas rigged with a 2/0 hook and 1/8 ounce weight. Drug across the cypress knee and felt it hang up, so after I popped the medium action Lightning rod twice, I paddled over to the stump, only to see my line had moved about 8 feet away from the bank. Set the hook once more, and after a very brief, post spawn fight, I netted the 26 3/4", 9# 11 ounce beauty. Was a super day, I remember it was 4/20 because the angler that had been fishing within ear shot of me all morning was super baked when he became my photographer. And yes, I do carry the pics with me in the truck! There are some great fish in that body of water, and it sounds like they are showing themselves again.
PS Not as eloquent as the great Jeremy Hemingway, but I gave it some effort. YOU DA MAN Jeremy!

#12 ·
Totally agree, but I call them sunfish. Anyway, always surprised when one of those little guys picks up an ol'monster, moves it half a foot and I set the hook and nothing is there. I'm pretty much used to them molesting whatever drop shot lure I throw out. Annoying yes, but better than 0 action. Makes me feel like maybe at least it's the right color.

JT

#13 ·
I typically refer to them as sunfish. It’s all in the vernacular. Texans call them perch or brim (bream).

The problem I have with referring to them generically as sunfish is because black bass are in the sunfish family, too. But we usually understand the context, of course.

You said, “Anyway, always surprised when one of those little guys picks up an ol'monster, moves it half a foot and I set the hook and nothing is there.“ They were moving the Ol’ Monster at least six inches and I was swinging for the bleachers. The worm was coming back with the head off of the offset, but I couldn’t see any teeth marks. Even with no teeth marks, I still think these were juvenile bass and not sunfish. Like you say, its better than zero action.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.